Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you teach your kids spirituality?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How do you do it? Were spiritual but not part of organized religion. What is the best way to teach spirituality? Were worried since most of our families are Christian they will try to lead our kids toward Christianity. Which is fine for them to choose once they're old enough to make that decision but right now they would just follow what they are told blindly. We want independent thinkers. Please give us input!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (11-17):
autodidact
by Snarknado on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

http://www.amazon.com/What-Is-God-Etan-Boritzer/dp/0920668887

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I tell my children what I believe and why. Others in our family do the same. We keep it very straight forward and encourage all questions. I am not religious in the common school of thought. I am a very science based thinker. My advice is to just be open, honest and accepting of others.
autodidact
by Snarknado on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Starbright--Meditations-Children-Maureen-Garth/dp/0062503987/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379913191&sr=1-7&keywords=meditation+for+kids

usmchoney
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
that such an abstract concept I think I would teach them about the spirituality in each different religion
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this
first you have to clearly define it for yourself: do you have rituals or traditions that you want them to have? do you want them to be connected to and respectful of nature? do you want them to have a faith in a clearly defined god, higher power, our just the positive energy of the world? do you want them to have knowledge of creationist stories and morality tales? do you want them to have strong, defined boundaries or just vague feelings about what they deem as " right"? are you comfortable with them embracing science as a part of their belief system it do you think that science and faith are in conflict? do you want them to feel connected to the rest of mankind through a sense of awe and obligation, or do you want them to see themselves as their most important responsibility?

It really didn't matter where your answers fall, but if you have answers as to what" spirituality" means to you, it is far easier to teach it to your children.
wixychixy
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM

This is a tough thing and it most likely won't be the same for everyone.  Honestly, it will depend on the maturity of the child.  Also, maybe a little at a time so the child isn't overwhelmed.

For example, earlier this year my now XMIL had a fit (more of a tantrum really) because I won't teach my 3yo that Santa is real.   Since he's just 3 I told him that Santa doesn't really come to everybody's house and come down the chimney.   I told him that it is a fun thing that some people do, but we don't and that he can pick out one special extra thing for Christmas.  (One of the big reasons behind this is my niece thought a guy she didn't know would come down the chimney and rob them when she was 4.)  I will make sure that he understands that there is nothing wrong with what other people believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

What age do you think is good to start teaching this type of subject?

Quoting wixychixy:

He's 3.  I'm pagan.  I will explain to him what I believe when he is older and allow him to choose the path that is right for him.  I was raised in a family with a lot of strict "Christians".  I never felt comfortable or agreed with them, so I chose my own path.

JessM311
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Buddhist books so far. She read Christian things that my mother gives her because I won't censor her but we talk about them just being stories. I love buddha bedtime stories and so does my dd. There's parables but no god mentioned
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)