Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need grandmothers' opinions please.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 18 Replies

There is another post on here about a mother who is upset about MIL giving her infant candy. It got me thinking about something that happened this weekend. I was at my parent's house, and my Dsm told my dd that she can circumvent the rules and what I say, because she is the grandma. This has been a problem since day one. They give her things I say not to, let her run wild, and openly disrespect me as her mother, right in front of her. 

So my question is, is this acceptable grandma behavior? Is it ok to try to "trump" mom? I almost feel like she is trying to be a mother figure more than a grandmother... I think we need to talk about it, but I hate confrontation, and avoid it at all costs.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2Sparrows4ever
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
As a grandma to be, I've learned a lot from these posts....just taking a seat :)
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

NO I am a grandmother. I would never go against my son and DILs rules. It is not my place to.

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I came in out of curiosity lol

My mom says its not her place to decide things and I agree.
She gives ds treats on occasion- with my ok. She asked me how we handle discipline in our home so she could mimic it in hers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I asked my mom and this was her response :No that is not ok, I am grandma not mom. They are your children to raise the way you see fit, and I don't/wont do anything you wouldn't do.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM
My grandmother said it is. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM

no it is not...it's boorish and UNacceptable...i would never go against my kids wishes unless it made NO sense what so ever--like letting a baby cry

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM

no- i don't let my grandkids run all over the place, ect.  there has been a couple of times that i do buy them something but not every single time we go somewhere.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I am a grandmother and I would never go against Ds or dil.
ramita
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM
My parents or one of my kids other grandparents will sometimes allow stuff I don't agree with, but never if I'm there. If I'm there the decision is mine.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I have 5 grandkids & when any of them visit, they know that their parent's rules are the rules. If they want junk food, they are welcome to anything here as long as they ask parents first. Same with playing with the toys or in the yard or anything else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)