Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am not buying my kids christmas presents this year.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 142 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just spent 5 hours Saturday and 6 hours yesterday THOROUGHLY cleaning their rooms. I'm disgusted. not because they were filthy but because they were so messy and disorganized. I have taught them since they were old enough to walk how to pick up behind themselves but for some reason they just won't. I have grounded them, spanked them, taken away certain toys and games. But nothing seems to motivate them to take care of what they have.

I literally threw away 6 huge garbage bags full of broken toys, school papers, and other random JUNK that they'd collected over the last year. There were missing items of clothing shoved under beds, closets, toy boxes, and behind dressers. There was even random items cut up and demolished in my dd's room...and they aren't even allowed to have scissors in the rooms. It was very frustrating.

So this year I do not want to buy them any new toys for christmas. I told them this over the weekend but I don't think it really sunk in. I know they will be heartbroken come christmas day but I'm so sick and tired of them not taking care of the things I spend my hard earned money on. They are 10 and 7 btw, so they are definitely old enough to learn some respect for and take care of their belongings.

Am I horrible for this? Any suggestions on an alternative solution?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM

bump

anotherhalf
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM
12 moms liked this
How about a weekly cleanup. You check when they're done. If not up to standards, they get a consequence then and there, not three months from then on a holiday.
Jabojoe
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I feel you. I have to muck out my kids rooms every few months also. How are their grades? I try to let the room thing go since their grades are really good and they have activities and they do help with the rest of the house and pets. I guess I don't really have any advice for you but I can commiserate.
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you should inspect their rooms every week (or day) whatever you want. 

If it isn't up to your standards, then punish them.

I think taking away Christmas is going way overboard.

Good luck.

rawrmommysaurus
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this
This past 2 years I have only gotten my kids 4 things for Christmas because of the exact same reasons. I get them something to read, need, want and wear. I set a limit of how much they get for birthday, easter and other holidays also. Another thing they don't get a big party every year. This year we are having their parties at home and they can invite 5 friends.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
So you're punishing them in December for something that happened in September? Yeah that's mother of the year right there. Besides I highly doubt you'll actually follow through so you're teaching your kids that what you say doesn't actually mean anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

They are suppose to keep them clean daily. and I actually do check them. on the surface they seem fine. But I moved beds and dressers and opened closets this weekend...it was a nightmare.

as for the consequence being 3 months away...it's more a principle of the matter type thing...you don't take care of what you already have, you don't get anything new.

Quoting anotherhalf:

How about a weekly cleanup. You check when they're done. If not up to standards, they get a consequence then and there, not three months from then on a holiday.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Why didn't you make them clean it? They will only act responsible if held responsible for their actions.

Tairy_Hesticles
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I just had mine throw everything that wasn't put away in garbage bags. I think they learned their lesson
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
:( that's sad to me. I know you are frustrated and upset, but, punishing in such a fury of anger is not entirely rational.

It's up to you to punish how you see fit, but personally I feel that you shouldn't have allowed the rooms to get to a point of such disarray. The children are still young and need guidance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN