Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Attention dog moms!!!! Get in here!!! ETA!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies

Mobile Photo

This is my 8 month old boxer baby Silas, he's healthy and everything but I was looking for some ideas on how to put a little extra weight on him bc he's so skinny I can see all his ribs. He is very active bc he is a pup still but still, anyone got any tips?

Thanks for all your suggestions, I got way more responses than I thought I would. This prolly isn't the best pic to show how skinny he is, but it's about the best one I have bc he hates taking pics as you can tell by the look he's giving me. Lol!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mittenmommie
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
How much is he eating during the day? You can always give him some snacks. Cheese bites, hot dogs, natural dog treats.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

My boxer was that way until she turned 7. Boxers are genetically very lean dogs. Don't foce to put weight because they can end up with hip issues. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I don't have him on like an eating schedule or anything I just leave his bowl full, I occasionally share my peanut butter sandwiches with him lol and I give him treats for tricks and training and things like that

Quoting Mittenmommie:

How much is he eating during the day? You can always give him some snacks. Cheese bites, hot dogs, natural dog treats.
ToniTennille
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I have the same issue with my Shih Tzu Penny. She is almost 3 now. She is healthy and has been to the vet repeatedly for this cause people think I don't feed her which is far from the truth. She is spoiled. The vet said some dogs are just like that and gave me some doggie vitamins to sprinkle on her food everyday when I feed her. She is very, very active so it's no wonder she is so thin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe that's just his body type, his dad was was sorta thin too but his mom is wide, not fat just really wide lol, I guess he took after his dad

Quoting ToniTennille:

I have the same issue with my Shih Tzu Penny. She is almost 3 now. She is healthy and has been to the vet repeatedly for this cause people think I don't feed her which is far from the truth. She is spoiled. The vet said some dogs are just like that and gave me some doggie vitamins to sprinkle on her food everyday when I feed her. She is very, very active so it's no wonder she is so thin.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I always think my German Shepherd is skinny.. but the vet always says she is fine.

What does your vet think? If the dog is healthy, I wouldn't worry about fattening her up. Just make sure she always has access to food and water and the dog will take care of herself when she's hungry :)

she_walk_softly
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

He is still on puppy food? Already neutered ? Give a round of dewormer.

He is insanely adorable !

New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Male boxers are taller and leaner, females are shorter, and stocky 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe that's just his body type, his dad was was sorta thin too but his mom is wide, not fat just really wide lol, I guess he took after his dad

Quoting ToniTennille:

Jessbecause85
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
We use this for our Great Danes
Satin Balls appear to have developed in the show community, as an uncooked, homemade dog food to improve coats and put weight on a skinny dog, quickly. Many recipe variations have proliferated on the internet, but a few are mentioned frequently. The dog rescue community also uses Satin Balls to put weight on underweight dogs. The following recipe combines the best elements of two of the most common recipes circulating on the internet.

Satin Balls:
10 pounds raw ground beef, 70%-85% lean
18 ounces Total Multi-grain cereal (or other vitamin-fortified, unsweetened cereal
2 pounds oatmeal, uncooked regular or quick oats (not instant oats)
20 ounces wheat germ
1 ¼ cup canola oil
1 ¼ cup unsulfured molasses
10 hard-boiled eggs and shells, crushed and minced
10 envelopes unflavored gelatin
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Divide into freezer bags in daily ration portions (some divide into 10 equal portions, others 14, and I divide it into one-pound packs). Flatten out the filled bags to expel air and completely fill the bags, and to reduce freezing/thawing times. Seal and place the bags in the freezer in a single layer. Once frozen, the bags can be stacked. For travel, the frozen bags can be placed in a cooler and used to chill other items until needed. Break thawed meat mixture into chunks or roll into meatballs. Feed raw as a meal or supplement.
Yield: approx. 17 pounds @ 1275 calories/pound.
About the Ingredients
Beef: If the goal is to improve the coat, then use leaner ground beef. If the goal is to put weight on, quickly, then use ground beef with higher fat content.
Cereal: The original recipe calls for Total cereal, but another fortified, unsweetened cereal could be used. Some competing recipes discourage the use of Total cereal “due to its high sugar content”, but since it is unsweetened, the sugar content is low. Total was chosen for the original recipe because of its vitamin content.
Molasses: Some recipes criticize the use of sugar (molasses) in the recipe, however the molasses contributes minerals and calories. If the Satin Balls were being fed on a regular basis, long-term, then one might want to omit the molasses.
Eggs: The original recipe for Satin Balls calls for 10 raw eggs. Apart from concerns about salmonella, raw egg white contains avitin which blocks the use of the B vitamin, biotin. While there is a lot of biotin in the egg yolk, to offset the avitin in the egg white, dogs do not digest raw eggs as well as they do cooked. Cooking neutralizes the avitin, allowing full use of the biotin. Cooked eggs are more nutritious and easier to digest, with more usable calories per egg, so our recipe calls for hard-boiled eggs. The shells are included for their calcium.

But you can also go here : http://www.dogforum.net/dog-frequently-asked-questions/5191-how-make-satin-balls-fat-balls.html
And there's other recipes and ideas how to put weight on him
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Don't worry abotu it. As long as he is eating a healthy, nutrient rich puppy food, he is fine.  Boxers grow up before they grow out. He will start to thicken up a bit at about 16 months old.  Just remember, they are not meant to be too plump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)