Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

depressing comments, 7 year old, punishment. edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies
"This is the worst life"

"I never wanted to be put on this world"

"I hate you/myself"

"You hate me"

Are comments made by my 7 year old during hw time. Well, actually a few more but those are the major ones.

What would be your response? Ignore? My ex got a whopping with a belt for saying his parents hated him.

Lately, since everything has been taken away already, I've been giving out physical punishments. 50 jumping jacks, 10 seconds in a push up position (he can't do push ups yet).... but that's more for disrespect, talking back and whining. Anytime he says those things, should I give a punishment out?

Edit-

Ds is saying all this to get outta what he's supposed to do. It's his form of manipulation. He knows what he's doing. Same thing gotta at bedtime- he really wants to talk about his feelings- but only at bedtime. Never any other time...

Same at school- he used to go to the school counselor every day, multiple times, when he didn't want to do what his teacher was assigning. It's at the point where the counselor says she'll get him at recess to talk about him. Until then he has to go back to class because missing 2-3 hours a day (again, every day before she put a stop to it), talking about his 'feelings' was interfering with his school day. He wants to do things on HIS time, when it interferes with things he HAS to do, so he doesn't have to do it.

If he truly felt this way, outside of time to do things he doesn't want to do, I'd put more merit towards what he says. Any other time though, he loves life, plans on living with me forever, etc

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM
3 moms liked this

...I would never punish my child for those comments. Instead I would hug them and ask them why they feel that way. That is terrible!

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
No I wouldn't punish for that. Sounds like something deeper than upset over hw. I would try to find out the cause and maybe even get a counselor involved. Those are not normal things a 7 year old should be saying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

bump

areles
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM
14 moms liked this

he's just trying to play on your sympathies to get out of doing his homework.

i wouldn't punish.  i wouldn't engage in any arguments about it either way, because that merely accomplishes his goal:  TO GET OUT OF DOING HIS HOMEWORK.

when my kid used to try that routine, i'd just be flippant.  i'm sure all the pearl clutching mothers of the year will unleash a tirade on me, but if this kind of talk only occurs when the kid is doing something like homework/chores/etc., it's clearly manipulative.  so i'd treat it as such.

'you hate me'

'you got me, i do.  now do your homework.'  <--- if your kid is the sensitive type - mine wasn't - you could adjust this to, 'no, i don't.  but do your homework.'  etc.  you get the idea.

'i didn't ask to be born.'

'neither did i - while you do your homework, i'm going to call your grandma and complain about her having me.'

'i hate myself.'

'you'll probably like yourself more when your homework is done.'

'i hate you.'

'sorry, you're stuck with me till you're 18.  now do your homework.'

worked every time.  eventually they get the hint that you're not to be dissuaded, and they just poutily finish it.  and you've avoided all the fights and bullshit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM
He's using it as a distraction to not do his hw. That's it. Didn't truly feel like this- at least anytime it doesn't involve his hw. I just want him to be able to sit down, do what's expected and get on with the day (the fun parts)

Not say those things, try to get sympathy and get outta doing his hw everyday

Quoting BEXi:

...I would never punish my child for those comments. Instead I would hug them and ask them why they feel that way. That is terrible!

ILoveBeingAMom1
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would smother my child with love if I heard those...

Stellavitae
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Where else does he go? Maybe he heard  it from someone. Your ex, maybe? I would be concerned about abuse, but that is me and my situation.

xomrs.chase
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Quoting BEXi:

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this

nothing says love like a good ass whooping. wtf?!?!

I would be hurt and sad. I would hug my child and talk to them. Assure them that wasn't the case and try to understand why they felt that way. Honestly, I'd question what I was doing for them to think that.

Stellavitae
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Maybe counseling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN