Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CPS Visit today *Update 2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 199 Replies

So CPS showed up on my doorstep today with a complaint saying my house is a mess and reaks of urine. (It is messy but not dangerous and we have one litter box in the basement changed twice a week) The worker looked aorund a bit asked to see my daughter who was over at a friends house. She said it didn't look bad at all but if we wanted to straighten up before she comes back tomorrow to see my daughter that would be good. Then she asked where my youngest sleeps. We co-sleep and she must have noticed the lack of crib (we do have 2 playpens one in the living room and one in her sisters room but they are full of toys, not used for sleeping). She then informed me that co-sleeping in NY is illegal. I responded that we practice safe co-sleeping and I would love to have information on how that could possibly be illegal. She said she'd bring pamphlets tomrrow. Is she for real? We will of course move one of the playpens into our bedroom and put a blanket in there.

Update*

So to answer some FAQ it is messy because there are two kids in the house, we homeschool and I attend school full time online. Thank you to the posters who agree that a messy house and kids are kind of hand in hand. I will admit it's messier than I would like and I need to be better about it but by no means is it CPS worthy. The playpens have been used just as some posters described, as large toy bins. My daughter is crawling and can't stand to be cooped up so we toss her toys in there when not in use. I have set up a playpen in our room with a sheet and light blanket. I will let her in, I will accept her pamplets, I will point out that it is not illegal to cosleep in NYS and that to represent as such is lying. I will let her talk to my daughter in my presence and then she will leave and hopefully whatever jackass reported us will leave us alone.

Update 2*

She gave me pamphlets on co-sleeping while saying, "you can't get arrested for it but I'm not allowed to allow it". I then pointed out she was being dishonest by saying it was illegal. She had noting to say after that. I showed her the playpen set up in our room. She asked my daugther 3 questions with me right there and then said she'd be closing the case.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM
11 moms liked this

Cover your ass. Get another place set up for the kid to sleep and then do whatever the hell you want once they are gone.

SaratheV
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM
3 moms liked this
I think you should consult a lawyer. If never allow them in my home willingly.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Never heard that before. I would do some of my own research and call a Lawyer and ask them about it. They would be great info. Because they you can state so and so said no if it was true that it is not legal. I don't live there so I can't say.

Do some cleaning and clean out one and say it is for your little one.

Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM
We coslept, but always had a crib setup incase cps showed up. They never did, but I always wanted to be covered if they did. Any idea why cps showed up? Who called?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM
9 moms liked this

Sounds like you needed the cps visit. Get your act together.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's illegal but CPS is very against it.

woodswalker
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Cover your ass. Get another place set up for the kid to sleep and then do whatever the hell you want once they are gone.

this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/cps/infant_sleeping.asp

Sorry I can't make it clicky but I think she's full of shit about co-sleeping being illegal. The link is guide lines for safe sleeping in New York which includes safely co-sleeping. That said, it's a good idea to set up a place for your dd to sleep. Why are they coming back?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My older daughter wasn't here. She said she would need to talk to her and contact our doctor and the school beofre she could close out the case.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I never heard of that. I always had a baby bassinet in my room when they were little, then moved them to their room when they were to big for the bassinet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)