Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She's doing meth... Baby involved.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
My cousin is back to doing meth.

I live out of state.

I want to adopt her baby.

The baby is staying with her great grandma right now.

My cousin would never sign away her rights and her husband is in the pen for 18 years, he just went in this summer.

How hard would it be to adopt her?

They live in Arkansas and my husband (military) and I (SAHM) and our 2 yo live in Florida.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Her baby will be 1 in December.
mommy03021207
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Talk to a lawyer. That's the only way you will really know your chances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I figured someone, anyone, could tell me a little something in case I'd be wasting my time..

Quoting mommy03021207:

mommy03021207
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
If you could prove it you may have a chance. There will have to be a court case obviously and they will probably assign a gaurdian ad litem which aren't cheap. If you have the funds, go for it

Quoting Anonymous:

I figured someone, anyone, could tell me a little something in case I'd be wasting my time..

Quoting mommy03021207:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM
She would test dirty, meth is addictive. They would more than likely assign the great grandma guardian, but she's 67 and can't move around...

Quoting mommy03021207:

If you could prove it you may have a chance. There will have to be a court case obviously and they will probably assign a gaurdian ad litem which aren't cheap. If you have the funds, go for it

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy03021207:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Definitely get a lawyer

Quoting Anonymous:

She would test dirty, meth is addictive. They would more than likely assign the great grandma guardian, but she's 67 and can't move around...

Quoting mommy03021207:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy03021207:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Most states are very sympathetic to parents so even if she's unfit she still has to be willing otherwise it will take years to prove she's unfit enough for the state to remove her rights. The best option would be to get guardianship over the child and hope the mom over doses or stops contact all together and you can pursue adoption by abandonment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:41 AM
This.

I hope CPS is better than they are here. SDs BM was doing Meth and we were very lucky to have a good lawyer and had her removed from the home but when we made calls to CPS for concerns about her other baby all they did was call her, no home visit, no nothing. She still has that poor baby. I really hope for that baby's sake you can get custody of her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most states are very sympathetic to parents so even if she's unfit she still has to be willing otherwise it will take years to prove she's unfit enough for the state to remove her rights. The best option would be to get guardianship over the child and hope the mom over doses or stops contact all together and you can pursue adoption by abandonment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:46 AM
how's your bond with the baby? Have you spent alot of time around her/him? If you can prove she's unfit and no other family members in the area can take the baby you may have a chance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:50 AM
See but in your case he as a bio parent this is a second cousin. Their family circumstances are a lot weaker than yours I don't see the state taking the baby away permanently and sending the baby several states away. Parents, especially mothers, still have rights

Quoting Anonymous:

This.

I hope CPS is better than they are here. SDs BM was doing Meth and we were very lucky to have a good lawyer and had her removed from the home but when we made calls to CPS for concerns about her other baby all they did was call her, no home visit, no nothing. She still has that poor baby. I really hope for that baby's sake you can get custody of her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)