Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sick of being treated like sh** because i'm poor.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm so angry I want to scream. I've been on my own since I was 15. Basically I've had a horrible life until I was 20. I've always had to work, to fight for what I have my life has not been easy at all. My dad died when I was little, he left me money but my mother spent it all on drugs, there were days when I was little that we didn't eat. I remember being about 8 and it being Sunday and being so happy because it meant I would be eating free lunch on Monday and I literally counted the hours until I could eat. Even then I only at half my lunch and saved the rest in my back pack because I didn't know when I would eat again! I grew up like that, mom sold the food stamps, spent the welfare money on meth. When I was 10 she needed money and she offered me to her drug dealer. When I was 13 she sold me to a brothel. I had nothing when I ran away at 15 and I vowed that I was not going to be like that, that I was going to work and if I had kids they would never go without. 

I work full time, we have three kids. My husband had a good job made $60K a year and I made $40k a year as an adult ed teacher. My husband got laid off in May of 2012 and I was laid off in Dec 2012. I currently work at a charity making minimum wage and my husband works at a gas station making $9hr. but he does not  get full time just 25-30hrs a week. We can pay the rent but not much else. We've had to move from our home into a crappy apartment because we could not afford the rent. 

My youngest son stopped talking out of the blue and started having all kinds of weird behaviors. We found out he has Autism and Tourette syndrome. Since we don't make much I applied for SSI because he needs therapy that we can't afford. We also get food stamps. 

Yesterday this woman at the grocery store saw me paying for my son's birthday cake with food stamps and confronted me (the cake was $6.99 mind you) she told me I was abusing the system and she followed me to my car to take my license plate number and said she was going to report me. She even went as far spiting in my direction and started yelling at me because I got into a nice car. It wasn't actually my car, I drive a 1996 toyota camry but the axle on it is broken so my pastor at church let me borrow his BMW for the day. 

Then my sister-in-law who thinks my son's condition is a result of us putting him into daycare told me I was nothing more than a welfare moocher and no better than the mother I often spoke ill off because i'm applyin for SSI. She said "how could you sit in church every sunday and know you are taking advantage of  a whole country." she also called me lazy because we are seeking help and told me "I should just get a good job" (like i'm not trying everyday to do just that!) 

I'm so sick of being treated like a horrible person after all the years i've fought just to stay alive, I don't have family to help me, I don't have siblings to watch my kids, I don't have a mother that can loan me money or a father I could live with until we are back on our feet. We are alone, we have each other and that is it! 

Why are people so judgemental of the poor when they know nothing of our struggles? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twade26
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Ignore them momma. 

seksen
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM
3 moms liked this
Ignore them and keep your head high. I'm sorry you are going through this :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I know it's hard, but don't let them get under your skin. You're doing your best to provide for your family, and to overcome what you've been dealt. I'm sorry all of that has happened to you, no one deserves ANY of that.
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:48 AM
I am sorry that you are having to struggle so. I hope that you apply for any and all assistance for which you qualify and that your situation will improve soon. Please know that my thoughts are with you and I will be sending positive energy your way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM

thank you all for your kind words, I just had to vent.

JamieBue38
by Jamie on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:52 AM
You sound like a very strong lady
darlingmeggy
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Keep your head up and don't give up
laam
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Why are you whining? How old are you? Poor is a state of mind. FUCK what people say!

felicia0387
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Ha ha i would of slapped that bitch across her face and tell her to mind her business! I to get foodstamps and when i get negative comments i usually ignore, however if that would of happened to me lke i said i would of slapped her! Pay no attention to people like that, they don't know how it is to work full time and still dont make enough to cover bills and food. Unfortunately so many people anymore do abuse foodstamps and us people who use them right always get the brunt of all the negativity. Keep your head up mama!

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Is your sil dh's sister? Because first of all tell him to keep her in line or you will. Secondly, the lady in the was wrong for spitting and yelling at you, but she was right to say she'd report you over the cake.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured