Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The BEST schooling option is obviously....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
...what is it? I need opinions please! DH wants me to homeschool, but I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge/tools to help DD learn what she needs to. Public school is kind of iffy, as we both had some problems when we went through school. I'm not very educated in all the schooling options, so some personal insight would be really helpful!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:05 AM
3 moms liked this

there is no one best solution across the board.

twade26
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Whatever works for you and your family.

twade26
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I don't have the patience to homeschool.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Absolutely agree. Just asking for some personal experiences..pros/cons, why that particular choice was made, ect.

Quoting shabbalaquita:

there is no one best solution across the board.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM

The best option is whatever works best for your family.  You could try to find a homeschooling group in your area and see if you could talk with them about how the whole thing works.  You could make an appointment with the principal of the local public school and see if you can talk to them and tour the school.  After you do these, then try to make a decision about what is best for your daughter.  

KawaiiPika
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Do what you feel is best. My DD is in private school and loves it. Small class, specialized attention, strict curriculum. I do love the uniforms.
KelleLynn
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:14 AM

This is a very hard topic, I wanted to homeschool my children for elementary school but this mom was newly divorced at that time and needed to work. I did do extra reading and learning things with them outside of school anyway. It was learning and bonding. I will change my schedule in a few years again, as they approach high school. I would like to give them the option of online learning with partial class time. Good luck, ask lots of questions, trust your instincts, and remember that if you try it one way and if its not working you can change it.

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I'm really bummed because, as much as my ds wants to go to school, he will be out for the 14th day tomorrow due to his asthma.  Tonight he asked me about homeschooling again. I'm so disappointed for him, because he really did want to be in school, but he just can't seem to keep the asthma under control when he's there.

Anyway, you might want to check into on-line schools and public homeschools. My dd is part of an on-line school and my ds will be part of a public homeschool. Since both schools are charter schools in our state and considered public schools, all the materials are provided and teachers are there as well. I was more "hands on" with my son last year, but the teacher was very accessible and handled all of our questions. He sailed through his ISATs at Advanced and had no trouble going into 8th grade.

My dd is doing great as well...having gone from struggling to get C's and D's to getting A's and B's. 

Check with your state and see what options are available. You can even check with your dd's school. We found out about each of the schools our kids are part of via the local public schools.

If you want to go with private homeschooling, do check their curriculum and credentials. I think homeschooling is a great option for people, but you do want to make sure that the curriculum will adequately educate your child.

One thing that I think is really important about homeschooling is to remain flexible. If it doesn't seem to be working out, then discuss putting her back into school. I've always allowed the kids to be a big part of the decision...after all this is their education. It directly impacts their future, so if they aren't on board, then that's not a good thing.

SleuthMaria
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Whatever works best for your invidual family & allows your children to get the best education they possibly can.

If public school is iffy & you don't think you could homeschool effectively, maybe look into either private school or virtual school. Virtual school is online (sometimes offerred for free through the public school) learning from home. You could add to what's she's getting from the virtual school if you feel she needs more. Good luck deciding!

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:58 AM

The answer will vary depending on your kid,and where you live.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)