Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is the area you live in diverse?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM
  • 320 Replies
Our area is pretty darn white. Although, because we have a major University, there is a spattering of people from all over the world. We also have a lot of Native Americans here because we have the only 4 year NA University in the country.

I hadn't really thought much about it until we were watching Orange is the New Black last night. My 11 year old blurts out, "This show is racist!" I asked him why and he said, "When they show everyone on the outside, they are all in groups. It's divided. Whites, blacks, Russians, Mexicans. When they show them on the inside, it's the same way. No one is friends with people that aren't like them. "

So, I guess we have enough diversity that people being grouped like that seems odd to him.

ETA: Demographics for our area.

The racial makeup of the city was 82.0% White, 4.7%African American, 3.1% Native American, 4.5%Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.5% from other races, and 4.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latinoof any race were 5.7% of the population.
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Super diverse. We're white and my son is actually a minority in his school. I love it. His best friends are Bangladeshi and Mexican, both parents 2nd languages are English.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM

It's only white people where I live.  I am half Asian, half white and am the darkest person in this neighborhood.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM
It's starting to get very diverse now that a lot of people from the city are moving up this way.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Technically yes.. but no.
Ethnically. yes.

But everyone is military. Everyone.
goldpandora
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM

It's pretty diverse here. We have a variety of European nationalities (mainly French), a large north African population and a few African families (one of my best friends is from Senegal). My daughters would probably have thought much like your son (i.e. that it was strange to lump people together in groups like that - they don't seem to have much notion of racism, per se). I mean, we all shop in the same places, go to the same schools, etc. so there is no notion of segregation.

kristen0812
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I live in a predominately white neighborhood within an extremely diverse city.
TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I wish our area was a little more diverse. It isn't bad considering we are a suburb in Kansas.

Quoting sugareemommee:

Super diverse. We're white and my son is actually a minority in his school. I love it. His best friends are Bangladeshi and Mexican, both parents 2nd languages are English.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Very diverse. Diversity in age, also. Lots of old and young people around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Hahaha. No. My Dh is about half Native American and we used to joke he was the only minority in town.

It's not that bad, but pretty close.

I live in an outer ring suburb in Minnesota.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM
We have a university here, too.

Aside from that it's mainly white, Hispanic and AA.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN