Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

police officers or wives of them

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 20 Replies
What is it actually like? When DF and I first met it's something he really wanted to do, but life got in the way. We had DS, bought a house etc. We just kind of got settled with the way things are. But he mentioned the other day that he's been thinking about trying to get back in shape and going for it. But... He's 25 with a family, if he does is he going to be the only person at training juggling all of that? And I know the shifts are crazy, so how often would he actually be home when our 23 mnth old can see him? And for the wives, how scary is it for you knowing he's out there?

I really want to support him in every way I can, not to mention that cops are so so sexy ;). But I also don't want to help him out with getting there and then find myself miserable...
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SodiumPentathol
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Bump
SodiumPentathol
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Bump
acook0331
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

It's just like any other job.

When my husband went to the academy, we had 1 child. You have to accommodate it, not them, sometimes the academy is a live in meaning they can only come home on weekends.

acook0331
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

To add, I also went through the academy with a child. It can be done.

eztwins
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I am the daughter of a police officer and the wife of one. I have found it varies as to how much the children and wife see their parent or spouse. Both my dad and dh made it a point to have family time. My dad never missed a single important event in my life and neither has dh in our kids lives. It was a priority to them. But I have seen the other side of it too. They're never home etc but its a choice and they need to prioritize. It's had more to do with the man than the job IMO.

As to being scared, it's never been an issue for me. It just isn't something I focus on. They could just as easily die in an accident on their way to any job. I am also not an easily nervous person, my motto is don't worry till there is something to worry about.
SodiumPentathol
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Do you guys find you don't have much time with your children due to your shifts? Or is it basically the same as anything else?

Quoting acook0331:

SodiumPentathol
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Thank you!

Quoting eztwins:

I am the daughter of a police officer and the wife of one. I have found it varies as to how much the children and wife see their parent or spouse. Both my dad and dh made it a point to have family time. My dad never missed a single important event in my life and neither has dh in our kids lives. It was a priority to them. But I have seen the other side of it too. They're never home etc but its a choice and they need to prioritize. It's had more to do with the man than the job IMO.

As to being scared, it's never been an issue for me. It just isn't something I focus on. They could just as easily die in an accident on their way to any job. I am also not an easily nervous person, my motto is don't worry till there is something to worry about.

acook0331
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

We work separate shifts so that our kids always have one of us home but he and I don't see each other for more than a few hours a week. It sucks but we would rather not worry about a stranger with our kids.

Quoting SodiumPentathol:

Do you guys find you don't have much time with your children due to your shifts? Or is it basically the same as anything else?

Quoting acook0331:

Nee86
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
My dad went through the academy with 3 small children at home. Yeah at times it sucked but that was just Dad's job.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My husband was a cop when we first met, and he is about to return to it.  It is not too bad. The department becomes like family. The hours are crazy, but it is okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)