Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you force your child to eat? *Edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 406 Replies
3 moms liked this
Especially their greens and fruits?
Do you make them sit at the table until they have a good portion or let them go to bed hungry? How do you deal with picky eaters?

Edit: I was a very picky eater and my mom forced me to eat everything on my plate growing up. Sometimes i sat at the table for 4 or 5 hours crying my eyes out. I didn't know it could cause eating issues. Do you think this could have caused me to be a cry baby and a binge eater? I don't plan on forcing my child, but I hope for her to eat healthy.

Edit:FEATURED BABY! :D thanks for your great responses!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM
25 moms liked this

I make one meal and one meal only, there is no special treatment for anyone. That plate of food will sit at the table all night long if need be and I'm more than happy to warm it up. I will NOT however make anything else until the next meal time comes. That's it, no one is forced to eat. 

CheesyKitty
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM
my daughter is a raw vegetarian. Not by my choice but for the most part that's all she will eat. I always offer meals of course but I don't push it. I would if it wasn't veggies and fruits filling her up.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
6 moms liked this
I don't. But she also isn't a picky eater.
If she isn't hungry, I don't make her eat.
I know she has days where she picks and snacks. And other days where she eats and eats and eats more!

I don't think its setting her up for a good relationship with food to make her eat when not.hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

When my dd gets to be the age where she's eating solid foods I would expect her to try and at least eat a few bites of whatever I make.  If she doesn't like it, I won't make her something else and she'll just have to go to bed hungry but I would't make her sit at the table until she eats it.  She's only 4 months old though so I've got awhile before we get to that stage!

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

bumping cuz my kid eats just about everything but cheese.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM

They have until the time we're finished and 20 minutes after for them to eat their veggies (fruits isn't an issue for us) we usually compromise at first with "just two more bites." When time is up, about 90% is gone.

jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
9 moms liked this

No one should ever force their child to eat.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
My kids are not really picky eaters, so I don't usually have to fight them. My ds does not like hamburgers, so if I make them, he gets something else.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't make them eat, but I do make them try anything that I serve.

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Our son is only offered what we're eating-we have done this since he started eating finger foods.  If he eats, GREAT!  If not, there is nothing else until the next meal.  When that occurs he generally catches up later.  He isn't a big breakfast kid i've discovered so that is when he gets his milk--then I don't panic if he doesn't eat anything.  I know he will at lunch when he's hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN