Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yep, another PA rant. Read it and bash if you must.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 183 Replies
1 mom liked this

I ran some figures based on a family in my neighborhood.  Bear in mind this family is not the exception, they are the rule in this area.  They are a blended family of 6.  Two adults, not married, 4 children (2 are hers, 2 are his).  These figures are straight from his and her mouths.  I didn't make them up.  This is what they receive in PA.

$1084 in FS per mo.   (she gets $542 for her and her kids, he gets the same for himself and his kids)
For a year, this is a payout of $13,008.

She gets a "check" in the amount of $500 and some odd dollars a month.  I do not know why.  She is able-bodied enough to walk 2-3 miles a day up and down the road, watch 4 kids, cook, clean, and maintain the home.  She also drives and shops, etc.  When I first met her, I asked, "Where do you work?"  She said, "I don't have to work.  I get a check." 
Total yearly payout:  at least $6000

Each of the adults have a "free" cell phone.  Approx. value for basic service, $25/mo x 2 = $50.  For one year, the value would be $600.

Medicaid for all 6 of them.  Approx. value of health insurance if thru a job or purchased in the open market.  A very low estimate would be $200/mo for any kind of plan for this level of service.  Value for one year:  $2400.

Clothing vouchers for each child at the beginning of the school yr in the amount of $200 per child.  Total amount:  $800

Free lunch for each child (all are school age):  $1.80 lunch per child per day, .90 breakfast per child per day, 180 days:  $1944 per year

Misc. heating assistance (they've received $500 per yr. each of the last 3 years):  $1500

Total all these amounts and you see that this family, in which NONE of the members work, receive a payout or equivalent in the amount of $26,252.

I have not included any of the local programs they qualify for, because most of these are run by private organizations/charities.  Important to note though that because of these programs, there are also certain things they do not have to pay for....school supplies, additional clothing, more food given out by pantries, water, and home repairs and improvements.  Most of these programs follow the "if you qualify for 2 or more of these gov't programs, you automatically qualify" rule.

I repeat, NO ONE in this family works.  The adults are able-bodied.  Even if they somehow found a dr. who would sign off on either of them being legally disabled, they make extra money in the fall and winter by cutting trees, chopping wood and delivering firewood.  Excuse me, but if you are able to cut trees, cut logs, chop into firewood, stack, load, deliver, unload and restack firewood, your ass can work a freaking legal job.  Why would I not be bitter that my tax dollars are going to support this family...to the tune of over $26,000 a year, because they are too lazy to get a damn job? 

Tell me where I am wrong to feel this way?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Our system has deemed them in need of assistance. Partly blame those who leech the system, bigger blame goes to our broken system.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Your estimate for health insurance is too low. For a family that size with a low deductible it would probably be about $1200 a month on the individual market. That would make it a heck of a lot more than $26,000.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this

my only question would be - how do you know that the 'check' she gets every month is PA and not something like past alimony  or perhaps a lawsuit settlement?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM
9 moms liked this
You have entirely too much time on your hands. If she's a fraud, she will eventually get caught. Worry about yourself.
VannaMae307
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

So they live on benefits that are the equivalent of $26k a year? That sounds miserable. I'd work my fingers to the bone before settling for that, if that's the easy way out.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the rule now and not the exception.......the good news, our government is going to bankrupt itself soon enough and they'll be the first to be chopped off at the knees because they're disposable in the eyes of our government.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I think it's ridiculous but there's not much we can do. It's just a matter of time before the entire system crumbles and sadly it's already started to.
AngelRT
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
3 moms liked this

People like that are why our system doesn't work the way it should! People like that are why those who TRULY need it cant get it! 

Furthermore, if you are "satisfied" with that amount of money to support your family for the year then that is sad! Its one thing if you are working your ASS off and thats all you can make but to sit on your ass and just accept that is lazy, pathetic and ridiculous! NEVER would I be O.K. with that amount per year. I would rather get a job and try to earn MUCH more than that! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because someone is able bodied doesnt make them mentally fit to work, fyi. And you can work a certain amount of hours before you get kicked off SSD-I, if that is their income, another fyi.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

That is frustrating when people who can work don't. I know people who know how to work the system and it annoys me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)