Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What to say about childhood cancer?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
Every day my 4.5yr old and I race to school (he always beats me). Today there was a little girl ahead of us using a walker. I didn't feel right running past her so made DS walk. DS informed me "that's a boy with a girls backpack" because her hair was growing back. I tried to correct him and then told him we'd talk about it later. We live in a small town so I'm sure he will be around her frequently. How do I explain the situation to him? I hate to use the word sick. I want to tell the truth but in a very sensitive way. I don't want him to see her as different. IDK. Any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
There are lots of books you can read to him that will do the explaining for you:) You will have to say very minimal! good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't even think of that! Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous:

There are lots of books you can read to him that will do the explaining for you:) You will have to say very minimal! good luck!
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Why not be honest and tell him that she has cancer? Why not use the word sick? She is sick. No reason to sugar coat it. We have 2 family friends that have lost children to cancer so our kids (8 & 6) and VERY aware of childhood cancer and have been for several years.

2pink1blue
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

My kindergartener has a cancer survivor in her class and has learned a lot from him and his situation in the three short weeks she has been in school.  When she comes home with questions about his hair (or lack there of) or his hearing aides (the chemo caused hearing loss), I explain as honestly and simply as I can.  She will be in class with him for the next 9 years and while I do want her to be understanding and compassionate, I also want her to realize that he wants to be treated like and is a "regular" kid too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
She is sick. Why wouldn't you want to be honest with your son?
SylviaPerez
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

you can say that this little girl in fighting cancer  and that makes her a warrior...

supercarp
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

You can say she is recovering from a serious illness that made her weak for a time and the medicine made her hair fall out. Point out that she is getting better (even if you don't know that) and encourage him to be nice to her and say hi; don't ignore her as if she doesn't exist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Be honest. I recently had this talk with my 5 year old because my best friends son is now bald. She asked questions and I explained to her what cancer was but that he's going to be ok and he lost his hair because of the medicine he's getting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I want to avoid "sick" because my nephew isn't allowed to play when he's sick (cold, mrsa, etc). I'm worried that him being only 4 will say "I can't play with you because you're sick". I have nothing against using the word cancer. I am always honest about things with DS. I just want to make sure I don't screw this up.

Quoting sarah824:

Why not be honest and tell him that she has cancer? Why not use the word sick? She is sick. No reason to sugar coat it. We have 2 family friends that have lost children to cancer so our kids (8 & 6) and VERY aware of childhood cancer and have been for several years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)