Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new rules for special needs at disney parks

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.parents.com/blogs/to-the-max/2013/09/23/autism/disneys-new-program-for-disabilities-lets-all-stop-thinking-the-worst/?socsrc=pmmfb1309247

I can not make it clicky because I am mobile. Basically it says that families with special needs will no longer be able to just get in rides with out waiting in line. Now they will have specific times to get on the rides just like a fast pass. What are your thoughts?
I think its a great idea. Why is it so important for them to just jump in front of a line of people that have been waiting anywhere from 5-120 minutes? If their condition is so bad that they can not stay in line for said amount of time then they can go to different theme Parks like knotts Berry farm where the lines are not as bad. If the crowd of people causes them anxiety or sensory issues well its not like the rest of the park is less crowded as the line. SOME PEOPLE are so used to the accommodations that this world makes for them that they begin to think they are entitled to it. Like they earned the right to get quicker or better access to some stuff (like not standing in lines). Yes some things are very needed by special needs people but not standing in line is most deffinately NOT A NEED.
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
bazjack
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM

It sounds like a fair compromise. Though as a disabled person, I tend to think that getting seated first at movies, etc. is a reasonable compensation in life for the fact I can't walk. Got to be some silver lining, right?

faire_jour
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM

My daughter was given priority (front row) seating, and if we couldn't be accommodated, we were asked to wait LONGER rather than less.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting faire_jour:

They never could just jump the line. That is a myth.

oh yes they could.  My SIL has MS and is in a wheelchair. When they went down there and to other theme parks, they were allowed to jump the line. There is no reason that she cannot wait like everyone else, as she is sitting.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cutenessmom:

Both I and my son went there and other places we  both have  disabilties   his severe with ADHD  I have it as well We wait in lines and never asked for psecial treatment .  I figure if we could not in lines we should not go.

good for you and you are teaching your son well!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Asking seriously......

What about this makes you so angry? Do you really feel this is not a reasonable solution? I have quite a few special needs family members and none of them (or the parents of the SN kids) are angered by this. They still don't have to wait in line which is usually what the problem is.

Quoting austenheroine:

Thank God there are kind folks like you around to make the world a happier place.

Grow a heart.

Quoting kitty8199:

What's wrong with a fast pass? Why should they just get to jump right to the front.

Quoting austenheroine:

Geez.

I guess you are pretty blessed not to have a special needs kid.

Unbelievable.

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Some of us who do care for SN family members agree with this too. These accommodations should be for those with physical disabilities not every kid with autism, add, social anxiety, etc. When a man on crutches has to wait in line I don't see why a kid with autism gets to go to the front. If your kid can't handle coming back later to ride then maybe you should avoid Disney parks.

Quoting austenheroine:

Geez.

I guess you are pretty blessed not to have a special needs kid.

Unbelievable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Aww someone isn't cut out for the internet *pats head* there, they're, their.

Quoting austenheroine:

You women are the most selfish and heartless people I've ever seen.

And no, I'm not "entitled." Although my kid has Asperger's, we wouldn't be jumping the line. I'm posting this on behalf of all the other moms who I know have challenges much greater than my own.

Anyone who has a problem with a child with special needs at Disney World belongs in the Wicked Witch Castle.

Are all of you members of the Teaparty, too? Let's see a show of hands. How many of you oppose affordable health insurance? I'm just curious. I bet it's every single one of you.

piratepixie
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Sounds more then fare to me, I realize that others will likely have a problem with it. But you know what? The parks were not made just for your enjoyment! They are open to everyone and given that some are pretty expensive they have just as much right to be there. However that doesn't give you the right to cut in line ahead of people no matter who you are, if that means having set time in which families with disable members are given first choice . Or even separate lines that can be alternated so that everyone is given fair treatment then so be it!

There's an easy way of fixing this, that is fair to everyone. It should just be all about one party or another. If people don't like it then don't go to the parks!! It's as simple as that.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
8 moms liked this
Funny. You're the only one whining. Everyone's else is being adults about it. Whether they agree or not.

"Show of hands", who agrees?

-_-

Quoting austenheroine:

What a bunch of whiny bitches.

austenheroine
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry -- difficult to take anyone seriously who can't get "their" "there" and "they're" straight.

Try again.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Dying over here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aww someone isn't cut out for the internet *pats head* there, they're, their.

Quoting austenheroine:

You women are the most selfish and heartless people I've ever seen.

And no, I'm not "entitled." Although my kid has Asperger's, we wouldn't be jumping the line. I'm posting this on behalf of all the other moms who I know have challenges much greater than my own.

Anyone who has a problem with a child with special needs at Disney World belongs in the Wicked Witch Castle.

Are all of you members of the Teaparty, too? Let's see a show of hands. How many of you oppose affordable health insurance? I'm just curious. I bet it's every single one of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured