Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

new rules for special needs at disney parks

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.parents.com/blogs/to-the-max/2013/09/23/autism/disneys-new-program-for-disabilities-lets-all-stop-thinking-the-worst/?socsrc=pmmfb1309247

I can not make it clicky because I am mobile. Basically it says that families with special needs will no longer be able to just get in rides with out waiting in line. Now they will have specific times to get on the rides just like a fast pass. What are your thoughts?
I think its a great idea. Why is it so important for them to just jump in front of a line of people that have been waiting anywhere from 5-120 minutes? If their condition is so bad that they can not stay in line for said amount of time then they can go to different theme Parks like knotts Berry farm where the lines are not as bad. If the crowd of people causes them anxiety or sensory issues well its not like the rest of the park is less crowded as the line. SOME PEOPLE are so used to the accommodations that this world makes for them that they begin to think they are entitled to it. Like they earned the right to get quicker or better access to some stuff (like not standing in lines). Yes some things are very needed by special needs people but not standing in line is most deffinately NOT A NEED.
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Replies (71-80):
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
How the fuck does that make us selfish? I'll ask for a third time. What is wrong with a fast pass?

Quoting austenheroine:

You women are the most selfish and heartless people I've ever seen.

And no, I'm not "entitled." Although my kid has Asperger's, we wouldn't be jumping the line. I'm posting this on behalf of all the other moms who I know have challenges much greater than my own.

Anyone who has a problem with a child with special needs at Disney World belongs in the Wicked Witch Castle.

Are all of you members of the Teaparty, too? Let's see a show of hands. How many of you oppose affordable health insurance? I'm just curious. I bet it's every single one of you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to hide him at home because he has autism? He likes disney movies just like any other kid. You don't think it wouldn't make him happy to meet Buzz and Woody in person and experience disney world? He deserves to share the joy that millions of other children do when they visit disney.

I hope we end up behind you in line so he can fling his diaper contents on you when he gets bored waiting in line for an hour :)

Quoting leksismommy:

Sorry to say, but you probably should not take hiim to Disney

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you serious? My child doesn't act out because I can't handle him or because he feels entitled. He acts out because he has a disability and has no concept of social skills. He won't hold a job because he can't even speak at 8 and is still in diapers. He will function at a three year old level as an adult and live with me forever. If getting to skip lines is one of the perks of having to be faced with living with severe autism the rest of his life then let the poor kid enjoy it and quit bitching about the dilemmas you think you have. Find something else tobitch about.

Quoting Anonymous:

agreed.  All kids need to learn that they cannot get special privileges because they are SN.  If parents can't control their kids, they don't belong in that park anyway, or out in any public place.  How are they going to function as adults? Acting out when they do not get their way?

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do they get to skip a line? I don't understand how saying that this fast pass is a good compromise makes Kitty heartless. I say that if your Special needs child can't wait in line or be in crowds then maybe you just shouldn't bring them to Disney. It's a privilege not a right, a want not a need. I may be heartless but I don't care.

Quoting austenheroine:

Thank God there are kind folks like you around to make the world a happier place.

Grow a heart.

Quoting kitty8199:

What's wrong with a fast pass? Why should they just get to jump right to the front.

Quoting austenheroine:

Geez.

I guess you are pretty blessed not to have a special needs kid.

Unbelievable.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't find your opinion to be heartless at all. I know that the stimulation at a theme park would be WAY too much for my autistic son to handle, so I have no intention of bringing him to one anytime soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do they get to skip a line? I don't understand how saying that this fast pass is a good compromise makes Kitty heartless. I say that if your Special needs child can't wait in line or be in crowds then maybe you just shouldn't bring them to Disney. It's a privilege not a right, a want not a need. I may be heartless but I don't care.

Quoting austenheroine:

Thank God there are kind folks like you around to make the world a happier place.

Grow a heart.

Quoting kitty8199:

What's wrong with a fast pass? Why should they just get to jump right to the front.

Quoting austenheroine:

Geez.

Unbelievable.

BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
3 moms liked this
I AM the mother of a special needs child and I agree with the new policy 100%. The old system was woefully misused and abused and it NEEDED to change. I have been to Disneyland many times and seen it first hand.

I am, in all honesty, trying hard to figure out what your problem is. Disney isn't shutting it's doors to people with disabilities, they are simply changing how they handle the situation. And it isn't a bad soulition!

Answer the question: What is wrong with the Fast Pass solution?

Quoting austenheroine:

You know what, when a bunch of selfish cows gang up on women with special needs kids, then you should be prepared for someone to call you out on it.

Suck it up.

If you act like a selfish prig, then you'll be called one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Nor can you take an autistic four year old to a ride and say to him 'honey our turn is in three hours - we can come back!' That leads to a massive tantrum. Fast passes do not work with autism. So you are stuck with lines.

There is also....'honey, I know you are enjoying the parade, but our fast pass says we can go on the ride in twenty minutes and the ride is a fifteen minute walk away'. Tantrum.

Fast passes do not work with autism.

'Honey, I have fast passes for all of our rides, but we'll have to walk past other rides that we can't go on because they aren't the ones we have the fast passes for. Tantrum. Tantrum. Tantrum'

Disney is an environment that overstimulates typical kids and their parents, what in heaven's name to you think it can to to kids with sensory issues?

Quoting Anonymous:Quoting Anonymous:There are a variety of special needs that are not well served by a fast pass type accommodation, which is why it has been shot down in the past when this has occurred.

One thing that the general public is not considering is that all of these special needs children with their tics, tantrums, screaming, grabbing hands, yelling, touching fingers, crying, flicking, flapping, pacing, ritualistic behaviors, etc will now be in line for 90 minutes next to you and you family. THIS is what you are celebrating. THIS is what you think should happen. I have to wonder how many people will be asking for the return of the special needs passes after just one busy season at Disney.

As visitors to a theme park, you will lose the right to complain about behaviors from special needs individuals if you take away their accomodations. On any given day, there's are many, many affected children there who blend in quite nicely who will now have a very strong affect on how YOUR vacation will progress. Pat yourselves on the back - you thought it was a great idea! They have as much of a right to be there as you do - you cannot legally exclude them. It is an outdoor space - they can make as much noise as their little lungs can produce. The ignorant fools of the world think this solves a 'huge' problem and yet they will create a much larger one.You don't wait for 90 mins with a fast pass. That's the point of a fast pass.
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
You need to chill the hell out. Believe it or not, some of us DO have kids with special needs, and we see nothing wrong with the new policy.

Quoting austenheroine:

You women are the most selfish and heartless people I've ever seen.

And no, I'm not "entitled." Although my kid has Asperger's, we wouldn't be jumping the line. I'm posting this on behalf of all the other moms who I know have challenges much greater than my own.

Anyone who has a problem with a child with special needs at Disney World belongs in the Wicked Witch Castle.

Are all of you members of the Teaparty, too? Let's see a show of hands. How many of you oppose affordable health insurance? I'm just curious. I bet it's every single one of you.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
What are you on?

Quoting austenheroine:

You know what, when a bunch of selfish cows gang up on women with special needs kids, then you should be prepared for someone to call you out on it.

Suck it up.

If you act like a selfish prig, then you'll be called one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Well they have assigned times for interpreters at the shows. I think they should do the same thing for those with disabilities. Assigned times you ride certain rides based on fastpass instead of just handlin git like an actual fastpass. I have tried regular fastpass what a pain in the ass!

Quoting Anonymous:

Nor can you take an autistic four year old to a ride and say to him 'honey our turn is in three hours - we can come back!' That leads to a massive tantrum. Fast passes do not work with autism. So you are stuck with lines.

There is also....'honey, I know you are enjoying the parade, but our fast pass says we can go on the ride in twenty minutes and the ride is a fifteen minute walk away'. Tantrum.

'Honey, I have fast passes for all of our rides, but we'll have to walk past other rides that we can't go on because they aren't the ones we have the fast passes for. Tantrum. Tantrum. Tantrum'

Disney is an environment that overstimulates typical kids and their parents, what in heaven's name to you think it can to to kids with sensory issues?

Quoting Anonymous:Quoting Anonymous:There are a variety of special needs that are not well served by a fast pass type accommodation, which is why it has been shot down in the past when this has occurred.

One thing that the general public is not considering is that all of these special needs children with their tics, tantrums, screaming, grabbing hands, yelling, touching fingers, crying, flicking, flapping, pacing, ritualistic behaviors, etc will now be in line for 90 minutes next to you and you family. THIS is what you are celebrating. THIS is what you think should happen. I have to wonder how many people will be asking for the return of the special needs passes after just one busy season at Disney.

As visitors to a theme park, you will lose the right to complain about behaviors from special needs individuals if you take away their accomodations. On any given day, there's are many, many affected children there who blend in quite nicely who will now have a very strong affect on how YOUR vacation will progress. Pat yourselves on the back - you thought it was a great idea! They have as much of a right to be there as you do - you cannot legally exclude them. It is an outdoor space - they can make as much noise as their little lungs can produce. The ignorant fools of the world think this solves a 'huge' problem and yet they will create a much larger one.You don't wait for 90 mins with a fast pass. That's the point of a fast pass.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I totally abused the wheelchair lane when we went. It was GREAT!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
oh please! They do not deserve special treatment. They're normal human beings just like you and me.

Quoting austenheroine:

Geez.

Unbelievable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)