Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can your child cook?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 175 Replies
3 moms liked this
My other post had a few comments about my 5 year old using a knife, so it made me wonder...can your child cook?

My 5 year old has been starting to learn, and loves being in the kitchen...she does most of the prep work when we cook dinner...the other nigh she made biscuits all by herself and was so proud :)

Does your child help in the kitchen? How old did/would you start?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
he can makes scrambled eggs, put a pot of beans on and we are working.on rice. Basic stapke.Mexican food lol Once he learns that, he can cook anything lol
crescentstar2
by Anne on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

no 

neither of my boys wield utensils, I do have them pour measured ingredients to things though

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Yes they do, with what I feel is safe for them. Butter knife fine, bit no sharp knives.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM
How old is he?

Quoting sandra_t00:

he can makes scrambled eggs, put a pot of beans on and we are working.on rice. Basic stapke.Mexican food lol Once he learns that, he can cook anything lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
What age would you start a sharp knife?

Quoting Raeann11:

Yes they do, with what I feel is safe for them. Butter knife fine, bit no sharp knives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shjchica
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

....not yet! When I was 2 I started helping my mom make spaghetti sauce so in 1 year 3 months she'll be helping me too! LOL she's only 9 months old...(well almost 9 months old)...she'd eat anything I put in front of her laughing

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Toast. Lol. He's 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Is that your choice?

Quoting crescentstar2:

no 

neither of my boys wield utensils, I do have them pour measured ingredients to things though

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM

YES! Actually my 18 year old is planning to be a vegan chef. He does most of the cooking for our family. 

My children have always been included in kitchen prep stuff and cooking. Even as infants, in the sling, I talked to them and let them see what was happening. They learned to use a knives and graters, as well as blenders and juicers. It really helps to teach them independence, as well as the skills needed, and nutrition education. We also grow a great deal of our own food, and they help out with that too. 

Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids start cooking at preschool age. My kids chop vegetables at that age as well. My 8 year old made carrot cupcakes today on her own (yes, she uses the gas oven/stove on her own but with supervision).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)