Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not Giving out Halloween Candy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What for?  I have no little kids anymore, and all that comes to the door are greedy teens....

the hell with it

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (211-220):
Jscott1216
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I have two dogs that go absolutely ape shit when the door bell rings or someone knocks on the door. And it's too much of a pain in the ass to keep them locked up in the kitchen everytime someone comes to the door, so I won't be doing it this year either and next year dh is taking Halloween off and telling his ex wife to suck it up he's taking the kids for Halloween because we have yet to be able to take them.
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Thanks for sharing. Where I grew up, your house would get egged for not having candy. So I always make sure to have candy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Such a shame that most people don't do this anymore. We won't be going trick-or-treating, we'll be doing something for just us at home, but I will pass out candy because I don't want to ruin it for those that still have hope.

susannah2000
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Not even little Butterfingers and little snickers bars?

tamullen607
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM
I don't hand out candy, and I haven't for years. I live in the country, and I take the kids into town to a few of the Trunk or Treat's that the area churches put on.
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, how did he die and how old was he? I lost my brother and Christmas was our "thing". He was much older than I , but we always had a lot of fun. I know it's not the same. Hugs mama. I'm sure the loss still hurts.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

My only kids are furry and they don't get candy but Halloween was mine and my son's favorite holiday. I have not been able to really do Halloween since he died ... I try but always end up in bed with the covers over my head suffering from a migraine.

I am determined to do it this year. I just have to figure out how to make the porch light work ... it's motion sensor only. *frown*

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I actually don't mind talking about it. Sort of like therapy for me. 

He was diagnosed at 17 with End-Stage Renal Disease (total kidney failure), which as the name suggests, is terminal. They gave him a year or two without having a transplant. He was non-compliant and lost his chance for a transplant ... his anger and denial blinded him until it was too late. He died when he was 22. He had just spent the previous month in the hospital ... two weeks of that in a coma ... and had been home two weeks. That was five years ago on September 10th. 

I'm sorry about your brother. ~hugs~  

Death is death ... sure, some may hurt more than others but it always leaves an empty space that can't be filled again except with your memories. 

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, how did he die and how old was he? I lost my brother and Christmas was our "thing". He was much older than I , but we always had a lot of fun. I know it's not the same. Hugs mama. I'm sure the loss still hurts.
Quoting SpiritedWitch:

My only kids are furry and they don't get candy but Halloween was mine and my son's favorite holiday. I have not been able to really do Halloween since he died ... I try but always end up in bed with the covers over my head suffering from a migraine.

I am determined to do it this year. I just have to figure out how to make the porch light work ... it's motion sensor only. *frown*

DEJavu17
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

We will be leaving a bowl of candy on our porch and taking the kiddos trick or treating. My husband will return after about an hour and refresh the bowl and hand out candy for the remainder. We love halloween :)

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
There's nothing worse than the loss of a child. That must've been so hard on you mama. My mom watched me go through chemotherapy and 14 surgeries. I was only 23 when symptons of cancer showed up, 25 when i ws diagnosed.I can only imagine her own heart breaking.

You're incredibly strong to be where you're at now.
Do you ever feel that things weren't resolved with him? Or do you feel his spirit is in peace?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I've worked with moms on the mommy baby floor with fetal demise. I've done hospice care. Death , illness, and dying has such a different effect on people and I feel it makes me a better caregiver when I connect with more people who have experienced these issues. Weird? Lol

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

I actually don't mind talking about it. Sort of like therapy for me. 

He was diagnosed at 17 with End-Stage Renal Disease (total kidney failure), which as the name suggests, is terminal. They gave him a year or two without having a transplant. He was non-compliant and lost his chance for a transplant ... his anger and denial blinded him until it was too late. He died when he was 22. He had just spent the previous month in the hospital ... two weeks of that in a coma ... and had been home two weeks. That was five years ago on September 10th. 

I'm sorry about your brother. ~hugs~  

Death is death ... sure, some may hurt more than others but it always leaves an empty space that can't be filled again except with your memories. 

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

There are things that I regret when it comes to him, but shortly after his death, I wrote him a letter. Apologized for past deeds and failings. Told him not to worry that things would be okay. It was several pages. It was like a weight was lifted. 

I still have issues about things ... can't listen to Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" (we played it at his memorial service) and we have not done anything with his room. His favorite thing that I cooked was lasagna ... he loved mine and would ask for it over gifts for his birthday ... I haven't made it in five years. On the other hand, I am getting better at being able to see his pictures. 

You have been through quite a bit yourself. Hugs to you b/c you are obviously rather strong yourself especially considering what you do. Hats off. 

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

There's nothing worse than the loss of a child. That must've been so hard on you mama. My mom watched me go through chemotherapy and 14 surgeries. I was only 23 when symptons of cancer showed up, 25 when i ws diagnosed.I can only imagine her own heart breaking.

You're incredibly strong to be where you're at now.
Do you ever feel that things weren't resolved with him? Or do you feel his spirit is in peace?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I've worked with moms on the mommy baby floor with fetal demise. I've done hospice care. Death , illness, and dying has such a different effect on people and I feel it makes me a better caregiver when I connect with more people who have experienced these issues. Weird? Lol 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)