Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wdyd when teacher sends home a note for behavior?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The past 3 days she has made a comment that my dd has been talkative. Dd is in big trouble but I don't know what to write back. I just sign it as I'm supposed to.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
ambermario4ever
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I do not write back unless asked a question. My daughter has been sent home with two notes for talking so far this year and this is only the fifth week of school. She got the second one yesterday. She was talking to much so the teacher moved her and then she still continued to talk to much. I don't know what to do with her. I have told her several time she is not to talk in class unless the teacher asks her a question. And that talk to her friends is only for recess and during lunch once she is done eating. But she still talks in class and at lunch and dosent finish eating. We have a behavior system at home when she earns behavior bucks for being good and doing good in school and such. And she losses bucks when she gets in trouble at home or at school. Nothing seems to work with her. We are supposed to go to sea world for the kids birthdays but yesterday we told her if she gets sent home another note before we go that she will not be aloud to go with us. Hopefully that works.

Jemmy
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
If he gets in trouble two days in a row he writes an apology letter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I would have just wrote "Thank you for making me aware of this. I will be talking to XX after school tonight about the issue". Then I would talk to my child about why they are talking during class and do they understand the rules and why they are breaking them when they talk during class.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Acknowledge it and that you will talk to your  child at home about their behavior and reach out to say that if there is anything that can be done to help her behavior, then you would like to talk to the teacher about it so that you can work together.

Honestly, DD is 3 and she talks a lot.  She's gotten time-out for talking A LOT and not stopping.  We talk to her about it and the teacher talks to her about it.  I went in and spoke to the teacher so that we can be on the same page about her behavior and it's worked out great because she's gotten so much better.  Don't be embarrassed about it - it happens and at 4, you have to give them guidance.

chicagoliz
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM

This is a tough one, because "talkative" could mean a pretty wide range of behaviors and intensities.  It's also still fairly early in the school year, so people are still getting their bearings.  There's also a wide range of teacher tolerance for this sort of thing, and sometimes kids who are just more verbal and more outgoing and expressive get "in trouble," when really the whole thing could be handled more patiently and gently by the teacher.  It's hard at this point to know what the exact situation really is.  It also depends on how old your DD is, but you should really discuss with her the importance of paying attention in class, and staying quiet when the teacher is talking so that everyone is able to pay attention.  

Caera
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

"Thanks for letting me know. We've talked to her about it. Please keep me informed."

jeda1429
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Say , Thank you for letting me know. We have talked to Dd about the issue and we are giving her consequences at home. Hopefully if we work together we can resolve this issue.

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Quoting fatcat0908:

You acknowledge that you will/have talked to your child at home about the behavior and ask if there is anything else you can be doing/saying to your child to help remedy the behavior in the classroom.
nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Maybe call the teacher or send her an email.  It may be something along the lines of DD just trying to answer a question from two or three minutes ago to she is talking all day.

Talking or emailing the teacher may show her/him that you are taking this seriously and are working on changing DD behavior.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
My dd was very very talkative. I got one of those notes too. She would come home with a little note or a sticker. Sticker good and note bad. I signed it and relied on her progress to communicate that we were working on it. She had like 15 bad notes the 1st 6 weeks and 3 the next. This year in 1st grade nothing so far.
The talking doesn't make them the bad kid. My kid's very respectful and follows rules but it took her some time to learn to control her mouth better. The teacher said this is very common and our school district has very high behavior standards. Rest assured this is normal and not a reason for concern. Of course address it, but know that it's really not all that bad and nothing to be embarrassed about.

What I did to fix it was have her set a goal for the limit of bad notes coming home. She set her own goal at 5 and then 3 after she achieved the first goal. She still got punished for every note home and if she didn't meet her goal then she didn't get the special reward of her choosing. If she met that goal then we celebrated and she usually chose roller skating as a reward. The next day we set a new goal.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am very embarrassed by it. I can't believe my child is the bad kid in class.

Quoting fatcat0908:

You acknowledge that you will/have talked to your child at home about the behavior and ask if there is anything else you can be doing/saying to your child to help remedy the behavior in the classroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)