Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wdyd when teacher sends home a note for behavior?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The past 3 days she has made a comment that my dd has been talkative. Dd is in big trouble but I don't know what to write back. I just sign it as I'm supposed to.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Replies (111-119):
propswife
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM

First of all, being talkative isn't "the bad kid" in class.  I used to do it all the time and I was one of the good ones and one of the best students. 

Sign the note and ask the teacher for an opinion about why DD is talking so much.  Could be that she needs to get to school sooner so she can chit chat before class.  It could also be that she's getting done with her work so quickly that she has time to talk.  My DS had this problem (along with 2 other boys) because the work wasn't challenging enough.  He ended up having a notebook in his desk to take out and draw until the rest of the class was ready to move on.  The next teacher was better and had baskets of books on each set of desks that the students could choose from to read while waiting. 

Has your DD been tested for the gifted program at her school?

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Being talkative does not make her "the bad kid."

Having taught elementary school kids, I can say that chatty kids can be the bane of our existance since we're trying to keep a schedule, relay important information, and keep everyone on task. However, kids are social and definitely not bad for talking to their peers.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am very embarrassed by it. I can't believe my child is the bad kid in class.

Quoting fatcat0908:

You acknowledge that you will/have talked to your child at home about the behavior and ask if there is anything else you can be doing/saying to your child to help remedy the behavior in the classroom.

marney.p
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Well then she would make a great teacher. They never shut up. LOL

kaylamom2004
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM

No need to write anything.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
There are always talkative kids in class, it is just people's nature sometimes. When I was teaching, I allowed kids to talk during their work time, as long as they did so without distracting the classroom and everyone was able to get their work done. I made sure to enforce that there was no talking during instructional times, or when others were speaking, such as at morning meeting or sharing.

I would ask the teacher what her rules are in her classroom for talking (if you are unaware) as you want to be clear with dd on expectations and when she can socialize.
tamullen607
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
If the behavior is just talking too much, I just sign it and return it. I was a very talkative kid and always had to sit by the teacher away from the other kids because of it. Depending on the age, I just ask them to work on it. My oldest, who is now 13, was just like me. When she was in 3rd grade and 8 years old, I had her tested for ADHD and got her on meds. It helped a lot.
ambermario4ever
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Yes they are allowed to.but my rule is she has to eat her food first then she can talk. Becuase other wise she won't eat anything. 

Quoting Anonymous:

...they arent allowed to talk at lunch!?!?!?!

Quoting ambermario4ever:

I do not write back unless asked a question. My daughter has been sent home with two notes for talking so far this year and this is only the fifth week of school. She got the second one yesterday. She was talking to much so the teacher moved her and then she still continued to talk to much. I don't know what to do with her. I have told her several time she is not to talk in class unless the teacher asks her a question. And that talk to her friends is only for recess and during lunch once she is done eating. But she still talks in class and at lunch and dosent finish eating. We have a behavior system at home when she earns behavior bucks for being good and doing good in school and such. And she losses bucks when she gets in trouble at home or at school. Nothing seems to work with her. We are supposed to go to sea world for the kids birthdays but yesterday we told her if she gets sent home another note before we go that she will not be aloud to go with us. Hopefully that works.

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilliesValley
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I would just write that we will address this at home and would appreciate further updates either way. Then give dd a good talking to and if it continues let her know shit will be taken away. Seriously, not that hard.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I would sign it, and include a note suggesting they perhaps move my child to another table or desk where she will be less inclined to talk when it's not appropriate, and that you will also be working with her at home on stressing the importance of knowing when it's okay and when it's not to talk in class. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)