Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wdyd when teacher sends home a note for behavior?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The past 3 days she has made a comment that my dd has been talkative. Dd is in big trouble but I don't know what to write back. I just sign it as I'm supposed to.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Replies (31-40):
atmomma
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I have a teacher meeting today for this. DS has had difficulties since kinder (3rd grader now). He isn't "bad" but he is off task, or talkative, or forgets supplies. Honestly I think the conduct cuts he gets are stupid, but we've always taken a very strict approach with him, including grounding, removal of all fun things in his room, and even spanking. Hopefully we can come to a resolution today. I really don't want him to have a reputation.

STVUstudent
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I would write on the note:

Dear Teacher Smith,

I am sorry DD has been disruptive in class.  We have discussed appropriate behavior and established consequenses for inappropriate conduct, and I hope she is modifying her behavior so as to not disrupt the class.  Thank you for letting us know that there was a problem before it got completely out of hand.  I hope you will continue to let us know how DD is doing in the classroom.

Thank you,

DD's mom

Missy.Anon
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

She's not neccessarily the "bad kid". She just talks a lot. Apologize for her behavior and tell her you will make every effort to correct the behavior. Work with the teacher.

Miss.MandyLynn
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

talk to your DS about when its okay to talk and not talk? id ask when is he talktive also? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Both my girls are talkative, as DH and I were when we were in school. Every other week my youngest will get a note home about "talking during class". I don't do anything with DD about it except remind her that when adults are talking she needs to be quiet and listen. She does good for awhile after that. I just sign the note.

Light.Shine
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Too talkative?  I would be overjoyed if my DS would talk at all.  How old is your DD?  I would acknowledge the comment such as "Thanks for letting me know.." but also request a meeting with the teacher to discuss what's going on in the classroom.  Hopefully, the teacher is allowing them some group activities where they are able to talk with each other.

binder5
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Whenever my kids act up in school they have to write a note saying sorry to the teacher.  Even if they are young they can still draw a picture and copy the word sorry.  Needless to say it only happened a couple of times each and they get the point

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

No I made her write 50 lines this year fourth week into first grade. Yes towards the end of kindergarten I made her write 20 times but not in the beginning. She would not have known how. However I did write on a paper an apology and had her copy it in her own handwriting and told her she had to apologize to her teacher as well. I also told her I was going to email her teacher and ask if she apologized and if she didn't she would loose her computer. She did it.

It was hard last year as she was just being a kid really. I was angry at first and would punish her but then my boss told me she is just a kid. Be thankful she is academically doing great. She will learn to speak in turn. Just keep talking to her about it. Praise her and reward her for good days and talk about the bad. It did get better towards the end of the year. This year like I said we have only had 2 bad days out of 35 so far. She has been sent home a progress report that was really good and mentioned how hard she was trying to not shout answers. It gets better just keep communicating and rewarding the good things.

Quoting lilmama2be:

You made her write 50 lines in kindergarten? Was it effective? Not judging...having similar issues with my dd..and am running out of ideas on what to do. She is only acting up at school, so I am not there to correct her.

Quoting sam12796:

How old is your child. Can the child write? Have the child write an apology to the teacher. Mine got in trouble for this a lot last year. This year only twice. I made her write fifty times I will not talk in class. She is in first grade. I also discussed with her daily the importance of doing her work and raising her hand. Her issue mostly was shouting out he answers. I told her the teacher has a job to do and when she is talking she can not hear instructions or she is disrupting the class making it hard for the class to learn. I also told her the teacher has to give everyone a chance to speak so she knows who knows the answers and who needs more practice. So far we have had 2 good weeks in a row. Just keep communicating with your child. Hope it gets better.

bellasmom423
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Spend the time it took you to post this to shot her a quick email or a phone call. Talkative does not equal bad, but you should know what her intentions were in informing you. Teachers are just people. Don't treat them as if you can't talk to them. They love having parents work with them. As a former teacher and wife of a principle I know.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Not a ton you can do. The teacher needs to take care of behavior in class. Obviously its good you speak with her about it etc but ultimately its the teacher who needs to take care of in class behavior
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)