Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

8 Things I Felt Guilty About When I Dropped My Kid Off at School This Morning - What have you felt guilty about?

Posted by   + Show Post

8 Things I Felt Guilty About When I Dropped My Kid Off at School This Morning

by Jacqueline Burt

kids backpacksThe academic year is barely underway, but from the load of parental guilt I'm lugging around, you'd think it was mid-March. Usually I don't reach this level of school-related maternal self-loathing until at least a couple of sub-par, hastily thrown together science projects and/or book reports have been handed in late -- and yet, here we are, not even done with September and I'm already stewing in remorse. Dang, we haven't even hit "I forgot to sign the permission slip" season yet!

Tonight, it's all I can do to recall, with a cringe, the many mistakes I made when I sent my almost 8-year-old son to school this morning ...

1. His fingernails were so dirty his teacher probably thinks I make him moonlight as a coal miner

2. The sleeves on his jacket were about half-an-inch short of his wrists (I could have sworn that thing fit last week!)

3. His breakfast consisted of one bite of a banana and a swig of lemonade (pink)

4. Neither one of us could remember how many pages of "Ramona the Brave" he read last night so I wrote a made-up number on his reading log and signed it

5. His socks didn't match

6. The "leave at home" side of his folder hasn't been emptied out since the first day of school

7. His lunch included potato chips for the 5th day in a row

8. I forgot to fill out his Scholastic Book Order form again

Ugh. Wonder what new guilt tomorrow will bring??

What do you feel guilty about so far this school year?
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Me being sick and waking up late so my dd was 45 mins late. The principal was very understanding especially since my dd is a good cookie and is ALWAYS on time.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I can't imagine doing any of the things on that list, lol

BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I try not to be too hard on myself.. there hasnt been much yet. I didnt send him with a jacket a couple days ago because it was about 65 in the morning, so I figured it would warm up.. It was warm, but the breeze and the shade made it chilly. :(

Fairywings1223
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I hate the uniform shirts. Mine have to wear a three button polo or school approved shirt which they call S shirts. It has a small logo of the county on them.

Quoting jmama0307:

OK one of the most thing I feel really guilty is when my son comes home and he uniform shirt is dirty. He puts it the other day. I only got 3 shirts so he dirty all of them and I hand wash one so it's still wet so he has to put the dirty one. I feel horrible sending him to school like that but if school didn't have uniform he would be wearing good clothes and not the same repeated shirt. 

Liz132
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

None of those things. I know that I don't function well early in the morning so I take care of everything the night before. I lay out her clothes, shoes, and backpack, pack her lunch, and return any projects or note to her teacher. Mornings are easy for us other than actually waking up

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I had a guilt-free morning.  To top it off, I'll be picking up DD later on instead of my dad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I think it's crappy that she doesn't check his folder... he's going to be left out of so much stuff because mom doesn't know about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I didn't walk with him. Instead I drive him. Yes, I'm very lazy in the morning.

The reading- there's already been two weeks where we didn't read a wink.

Other than that- ds goes to school sometimes looking like a clown. I don't dress him, he does it himself.

I don't make him breakfast either. Bahaha

Yes, he's 7
Lordgodempress
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My wrist is broke and in a very awkward cast.   The question is what I dont feel guilty about.  I think a broken leg would have been easier ugh.

SuperSMom115
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Last week I yelled at my teenager to GET HIS @$$ moving because he was late and was going to miss the bus... then heard the unmistakeable sound of projectile vomiting coming from the bathroom.  Poor kiddo!  I felt horrible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)