Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

8 Things I Felt Guilty About When I Dropped My Kid Off at School This Morning - What have you felt guilty about?

Posted by   + Show Post

8 Things I Felt Guilty About When I Dropped My Kid Off at School This Morning

by Jacqueline Burt

kids backpacksThe academic year is barely underway, but from the load of parental guilt I'm lugging around, you'd think it was mid-March. Usually I don't reach this level of school-related maternal self-loathing until at least a couple of sub-par, hastily thrown together science projects and/or book reports have been handed in late -- and yet, here we are, not even done with September and I'm already stewing in remorse. Dang, we haven't even hit "I forgot to sign the permission slip" season yet!

Tonight, it's all I can do to recall, with a cringe, the many mistakes I made when I sent my almost 8-year-old son to school this morning ...

1. His fingernails were so dirty his teacher probably thinks I make him moonlight as a coal miner

2. The sleeves on his jacket were about half-an-inch short of his wrists (I could have sworn that thing fit last week!)

3. His breakfast consisted of one bite of a banana and a swig of lemonade (pink)

4. Neither one of us could remember how many pages of "Ramona the Brave" he read last night so I wrote a made-up number on his reading log and signed it

5. His socks didn't match

6. The "leave at home" side of his folder hasn't been emptied out since the first day of school

7. His lunch included potato chips for the 5th day in a row

8. I forgot to fill out his Scholastic Book Order form again

Ugh. Wonder what new guilt tomorrow will bring??

What do you feel guilty about so far this school year?
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM

No offense to this mom but she doesn't sound together at all. While my kids' nails are dirty and one's socks don't match that's their choice. They love being dirty, her feet look like she runs in dirt all day because well she does. She refuses to wear shoes and when she finally conforms it's flip flops only. I wipe and wash her feet at least a hundred times a day but her toenails are gross. As far as miss-matched socks, we aren't that great with keeping up with socks but since I make her wear sneakers (god what a battle that is) to school every day no one will see her mismatched socks. They're cute, though..both white, one with blue dots the other with purple. Oh well.

Everything else though? Get it together, lady. Geez.

Irishmommy860
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I feel guilty that we argued yet again about her choice of clothing...a tutu with nothing but undies on is unacceptable. She's 7...so she started her day with an argument JUST like yesterday and the day before. Luckily we usually get it together before she goes, but she nearly missed eating any food withher meds. Today my mission is to pack all summer up so we no long have temptations

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I definitely don't fooll myself into thinking I am a perfect mom but most of the stuff on that list is ridiculous.
annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I haven't made it to either of the school orientations to meet, and speak with, her teacher.   I only saw the teacher for a brief second while I dropped my daughter off on the first day of school.  :(

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe its because Im a SAHM and have more time but none of those apply to our family.
I would be horrified if my child was dirty, wore ill-fitting clothes or school work wasn't done correctly/on time due to my own fault.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mariesmama:

my daughter is not getting the speech therapy she needs she cannot communicate right so she bites the kids that piss her off she's 4

My twins are in speech... That is extremely important- she's frustrated hence, the bitting
Why can't you take her
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I feel guilty lately because my preteen has been impossible to get out of bed. No matter how early I send her she's just hitting that phase where she hates waking up. I feel like a drill sargent barking orders all morning. It's such an unpleasant way to start the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsD.Duvall
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I didn't realize there was a puzzle to color in on the back of ds math homework until we were at the bus stop so I helped him color it with pencil really quick and didn't get it finished. I can't remember if he brushed his hair, it's very very short so it looks the same no matter what pretty much. But it's still bothering me.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Some mornings nothing and some mornings we are rushed and feel bad oh we did not get this or that done. But in the end I know we are doing the best we can and that is all I ask for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

lol I have a checklist I go over every morning.   and yes one thing on the list is to stand in fron of me and turn around in a circle so I can check the clothes out.   No stains, loose seams, tears or holes, make sure they fit, socks match, belts on if needed and shoes are on right feet.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN