Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teacher being a bit ridiculous here..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies

DD came home with a letter yesterday stating she is to bring in 2 apples for a Johnny Appleseed lesson they're doing at the end of the week. Every child was instructed to do so. No problem for us, we stopped by the produce stand on the way home and grabbed her (and youngest dd as she needed them too) some. Last night as we were going to bed she got panicky and said "are my apples in my book bag?" I said yes they were and she said "Good. Mrs *teacher's name* said we'd get in big big trouble if we didn't bring any in".

Seriously? A child cannot go to the store and get their own apples by themselves. It's up to their parents and if their parents cannot get something or can't afford it (yes, there actually ARE people out there who can't afford an apple) it should not fall on the child. Since DD told me that I packed extra apples for the teacher in case someone couldn't bring one in. I sat thinking to myself last night is this teacher really going to punish a child for something beyond their control? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids (5 and 6) tell me they will be in "big trouble " if I forget to sign something, or send something in, etc.  I think it comes from the other kids, not the teacher.  Maybe email her and assertively ask her about it?  Kids can be overdramatic.  Not saying he is lying, but you know what I mean. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

***SHE*** I meant.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Im sure it was just an expression

newmom121812
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Its maybe because some kids forget to tell their parents about it so the teacher tells them that to make sure they tell their parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lainey531
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Maybe she said it in a joking manner.
blessed107
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Just an expression.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Yea, some teachers will say that, but they can't really do anything. If my child got in trouble because I couldn't afford to send something in for school, I would be pissed. My DD had a teacher once that punished her by making her walk laps around the playground at recess, instead of playing with her friends, because I forgot to sign something and send it back. DD told me to sign it, but I forgot. When DD told me she got in trouble for that, I was pissed! It wasn't her fault, it was mine!

LadyVoldemort
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Just an expression
JJJMommyKris
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM
My dd thinks I am going to hate her if she doesn't write a 5 perfectly, even told me yesterday that everyone in her class is perfect except her. I have never been that serious about 5's or anything, I just want her to try her best. Kids can be dramatic, I'm sure it wasn't said in a punishment way. Maybe touch base with the teacher and watch for signs that things are getting along OK through the days. I would not make a huge deal about it though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Oh hell. I'd be marching my ass into that classroom and having a discussing about this with the teacher. A child can only be responsible for so much. A lot of at home things rely on the parents. A child can remind a parent to sign something until they're blue in the face and a parent could still forget.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yea, some teachers will say that, but they can't really do anything. If my child got in trouble because I couldn't afford to send something in for school, I would be pissed. My DD had a teacher once that punished her by making her walk laps around the playground at recess, instead of playing with her friends, because I forgot to sign something and send it back. DD told me to sign it, but I forgot. When DD told me she got in trouble for that, I was pissed! It wasn't her fault, it was mine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN