Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DD told a woman she's fat. Sigh.

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 65 Replies

She told one of the moms at the home daycare (which is her after school care) that she's fat. DD is 5. The woman told the lady who runs the daycare. It's my understanding it was sort of a matter of fact sort of deal. "You're fat." And that's it. Ugghh.

So here's the talk I had with her...I explained that she was never to tell someone that again. She asked why. I told her that it's hurtful to hear that, even if they are, indeed, fat. They don't need to be told. I told her that if she wanted to say something about someone to always make it something nice or to not say anything at all.I also explained to her that everyone is different and that's ok. God made us all different and loves us for our hearts and our minds, not what we look like. And we should do the same.

How's that? I've never had to address this with my kids before.

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM
5 moms liked this
Since I'm already going to hell anyway, I went ahead and lol'd. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

you handled that really well imo

jscbear
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Well done! :)That is exactly what I would have done. I think the way you addressed the situation was the right way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM
4 moms liked this
Children and drunk people are the most honest people on earth. Lol
leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I hope she learned the lesson, I went through it with DD at 3, she asked a black woman in the grocery store why she was so dirty. I almost died on the spot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

When I was in the bank, a 4 year old waiting on-line with his Mom told the lady in front of her "she was fat" The MOm of the 4 year old was embarrased, the woman told the 4 year old, she was once skinny like her Mommy, she was good about it.

Osstie
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I tell my kids the same thing op... That's it's ok and normal to think that, but to never say it out loud.

Oh, p.s. lol
garnet83
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yeah. PC isn't my strength so this was hard for me.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Since I'm already going to hell anyway, I went ahead and lol'd. Sorry.

susannah2000
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Sounds good to me. They need to be taught and  reminded that personal remarks can hurt.  Teaching her to say something nice or to say nothing and that differences are okay. will always be appropriate. Did good!

melodyhour
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
That is what I would do for a first offense, minus the God part. Kids are just too honest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)