Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drug tests can ruin innocent people's lives

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies
I have never taken any type of illegal drug or anything besides over the counter medication that wasn't prescribed to me. I took 2 drug tests for my job that came back as diluted. I was fired because of these drug tests. I told my employer that I have diabetes and I drink a lot of water all the time so my urine is always diluted. The MRO decided to put substituted as my second drug test result and declared it was a refusal. I cannot get my job back unless the MRO reverses the results. I told my employer that I would pay for a hair drug test to show I have nothing to hide. He said that the urine test is a 9 panel test and the hair test is only 5 panel so that would not work. I found a lab that is certified DOT and SASHA (the lab my employer uses isn't ) that does 9 panel urine tests and 10 panel hair tests. I paid them $450 to get a hair and urine test to clear my name since I know 100% that I have not taken drugs and I have no reason to try to cover anything up. I also learned that the lab my employer uses is known for making mistakes and covering things up. My employer told me my only option was to ask for the urine sample to be retested. Labs are suppose to create a split sample from your urine, one for them to test, and one for the donor to have tested at a different lab if they do not agree with the results. The lab did not create a split sample and the only urine I could have tested is the urine they already tested. I do not know if there was a mix up or what but that urine will most likely give the same result if retested. My only option now is to hope that my $450 tests will clear my name or to get a lawyer and fight it. My employer has a rule that if you fail a drug test you can never work for the county again. This will haunt me for the rest of my life if I do not get this cleared up.

My advice to everyone is to never think you are safe when it comes to drug testing just because you have never done drugs before. My experience is something I never thought would happen. I never in my life worried about drug tests because I have never done drugs. Innocent people's lives can be ruined by drug labs and the mistakes or decisions they make.

If anyone has had any experience with this and can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it. My life has been turned upside down by this. I feel like an innocent person that has been told they are guilty of crime they never committed.

I am sorry this is long, I just am so upset by this.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Diluted samples are usually run through further tests to see if a drug is present. They also always test the subject again after not allowing fluids for a bit.

I used to work in a drug court.

EDIT: OP, I'm not casting blame on you...the lab they use sucks...I should've made that clear before.

furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

My DH is a forensic toxicologist, aka he does drug tests. I'm not particularly concerned myself. I do know about cretanine showing dillution. I would imagine that would be at your employers discretion and it sounds like your employer sucks or was just looking for a reason to get rid of you.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My husband went for a drug test not too long ago and his came back diluted, they sent it to a lab for further testing and it was fine.

mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
That stinks OP hugs the lab and your employer both stink
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I would already be on the phone with a lawyer! That SUCKS. I am so sorry :-( bump for you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM
My first test came back diluted and a month later I was asked to retest. This was pre-employment drug tests even though I worked for 30 days between the first test and the second test. My immediate supervisor, and her supervisor are fighting for me to come back but the people in HR make the decisions. I have met with HR and they are giving me time to clear this up but their only option is for me to pay to have the original sample retested and they said that the tests never come back different. HR also told me I could go before the review board but termination because of drug tests are never reversed. I know I drink a lot of water, tea, and diet Pepsi because I am always thirsty and my urine is always diluted. I do not know what would cause the creatine to be low if that was the case. I took the test at lunch time and I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before. I know that is bad especially for a diabetic but I had a cold which caused my throat to hurt and I could only swallow liquids because of it. The certified lab that I went to used a totally different routine for collection and when I told her that the other place did it different she asked me what they did and told me they didn't follow the correct protocol or chain of custody. I showed her my results from the other lab and she sent a copy of them in with my tests. This is the craziest thing that has ever happened to me. I spent the $450 on the additional tests to prove my innocence. Even if I do not get my job back I want them to put the new results in my file to prevent future problems. The position I had cannot be filled by anyone else until next school year because of the way the program works. It is just a rules are rules kind of thing that lead to my termination. I don't want to pay the first lab to retest the sample since it will be the same sample tested and the results will not change. The MRO that called me was rude and accusing. I understand that he probably talks to drug addicts daily and probably has become so hardened that he doesn't believe what anyone says anymore but that isn't fair to innocent people. I have to have some kind of way to clear my name, and one test cannot be what determines my life.

Quoting furbabymum:

My DH is a forensic toxicologist, aka he does drug tests. I'm not particularly concerned myself. I do know about cretanine showing dillution. I would imagine that would be at your employers discretion and it sounds like your employer sucks or was just looking for a reason to get rid of you.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I would be questioning the lab honestly. Their practices don't at all sound legit. Diluted samples have to be sent off for further testing. If you do speak with a lawyer, id go after the lab before your employer.
BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Call a lawyer!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM
I am going to go to a lawyer for a free consultation. I have already spent $450 on drug tests and I am not receiving a pay check anymore which really puts a dent in my savings that we are going to live on until I get this cleared up or find a new job. It is horrible that they can ban a person from ever working for our county again just because of drug tests. Neither one of them were positive for any drugs. They were just diluted. The hair test goes back 90 days and can not be adulterated in any way. I also asked the lady at the 2nd lab to observe me as I did the urine drug just to be extra safe. I am a teacher and this can seriously ruin my career.

Quoting baquick:

I would already be on the phone with a lawyer! That SUCKS. I am so sorry :-( bump for you!

msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM

The issue isnt drug testing. Its shitty drug testing places and shitty employers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)