Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Constipation remedies for a 3 month old

Posted by   + Show Post
My three month old has been straining to poop all day. She's absolutely miserable. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to pick up some suppositories, if they don't work I'll take her to the dr tomorrow.

Update: she finally went, and passed out right after on my shoulder. And I want to cry now, she started bleeding, and screaming even more from pain before it was all over. :-(
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I'll look. There's a few pharmacies that might carry them.

Quoting momtolittleg:

I used the fleet baby enema glycerin bulbs with dd at about that age. Her poops were huge and hard and she just needed some... Well, lubrication. Just a small portion of the little bulb's worth of liquid was enough. Had a hard time finding them, but they worked well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM
A nicu nurse who is a friend of mine told me to take my sons temp rectally and sure enough he pooped :-)
Krysta622
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I'd give it a little time. If no poop in day, a 24hr period, consult your pedi. I've always heard that karo carries a slight risk of botulism poisoning in babes under a year. Is baby on only formula? Have any solids been introduced? Try bicycling baby's legs, maybe gas drops.
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I think I tossed my last rectal thermometer before she was born. I just use the forehead one now. But in willing to try it.

Quoting Anonymous:

A nicu nurse who is a friend of mine told me to take my sons temp rectally and sure enough he pooped :-)
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM
I don't introduce solids until 6 months unless otherwise told to by their drs, so she's only on the formula. Her last poop was about 10:30 yesterday morning. Sometimes she goes a little longer but doesn't have any issues with it, but she is crying and obviously straining at this point.

Quoting Krysta622:

I'd give it a little time. If no poop in day, a 24hr period, consult your pedi. I've always heard that karo carries a slight risk of botulism poisoning in babes under a year. Is baby on only formula? Have any solids been introduced? Try bicycling baby's legs, maybe gas drops.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM
An ounce of apple juice. That was the advice given by my pedi.
Krysta622
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM
If you decide to use a suppository, I'd suggest pediatric glycerin ones, and cut it in half lengthwise. This was recommended by dd's pedi, although it was almost 8 years ago.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I remember my oldest was a constipated baby, or at least that's what I thought.
My pediatrician told me then that babies sometimes can't control the movements needed to poop. If you think about it, you need to "strain" you inners muscles, but relax the anus. Babies sometimes have the reflex of straining them both instead of relaxing the anus. He told me to take a baby's suppository (or even the thermometer) and just place it in the anus with a slight rotation, not put it in, just a movement to get the relaxation reflex to kick in. With my son, that was it.
But it's a good idea to take your baby to the doctor, see if it's not something else.
Krysta622
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Try the bicycling, and a little tummy massage. That's what is do before trying a suppository or any thing like water/juice/Karo/prunes etc.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

I don't introduce solids until 6 months unless otherwise told to by their drs, so she's only on the formula. Her last poop was about 10:30 yesterday morning. Sometimes she goes a little longer but doesn't have any issues with it, but she is crying and obviously straining at this point.

Quoting Krysta622:

tiniowien
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Prune juice watered down if you can do that yet, corn syrup works just don't over do it, by the end I had to give mine enemas.....once we changed her off the formula she had she was fine,,still is now 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)