Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Constipation remedies for a 3 month old

Posted by   + Show Post
My three month old has been straining to poop all day. She's absolutely miserable. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to pick up some suppositories, if they don't work I'll take her to the dr tomorrow.

Update: she finally went, and passed out right after on my shoulder. And I want to cry now, she started bleeding, and screaming even more from pain before it was all over. :-(
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM

god whatever you do DONT GIVE HER WATER!!!!!!!!! 

she may die.

kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM
She's out like a light. You could tell she was exhausted and hurting. She's not tense or crying anymore.

Quoting amandacr1026:

lol I bet she feels so much better and so relieved now!!

Quoting kdjdod081013:

She finally went and passed out on my shoulder :-(

Quoting amandacr1026:

Miralax and suppositories worked miracles for my daughter!!

FIREFOX1336
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I had to call my ped for dd once they said dark carro syrup an if that didn't work to rectally take her temp.
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM
No. It sucks. My daughter had that problem as a baby too :( she became horribly constipated again recently, she's been at her grandma's for 3 weeks.. Apparently it had been 4 days since she had her last bm. I had to give her some ex lax yesterday and boy did she ever poop this morning.. First thing she said when I opened her for was that she pooped and her tummy felt better. She's 2 now though.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Poor baby finally went and fell asleep on my shoulder. :-( am I crazy for wanting to cry watching that hurt her like that?

Quoting Krysta622:

Try the bicycling, and a little tummy massage. That's what is do before trying a suppository or any thing like water/juice/Karo/prunes etc.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

I don't introduce solids until 6 months unless otherwise told to by their drs, so she's only on the formula. Her last poop was about 10:30 yesterday morning. Sometimes she goes a little longer but doesn't have any issues with it, but she is crying and obviously straining at this point.

Quoting Krysta622:

I'd give it a little time. If no poop in day, a 24hr period, consult your pedi. I've always heard that karo carries a slight risk of botulism poisoning in babes under a year. Is baby on only formula? Have any solids been introduced? Try bicycling baby's legs, maybe gas drops.
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM

A little watered down apple juice, maybe. I'm not sure if the baby is too young for that yet tho.

Steph103
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Prune juice has always worked for my daughter.
SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM

We used something called Baby Move from Walgreens when my DD was 2 months old. It says for under 6 months to consult a pediatrician, but my husband is one...so...we used it haha. It worked well and was gentle. It is just concentrated prune juice. Most formula fed babies go through this.

amandacr1026
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My daughter would get backed up for days at a time when she was born. come to find out it was the formula she was on. We put her on Miralax daily and she's been regular. We took her off the miralax about a month and a half ago? she's still going strong (lol)

Quoting kdjdod081013:

She's out like a light. You could tell she was exhausted and hurting. She's not tense or crying anymore.

Quoting amandacr1026:

lol I bet she feels so much better and so relieved now!!

Quoting kdjdod081013:

She finally went and passed out on my shoulder :-(

Quoting amandacr1026:

Miralax and suppositories worked miracles for my daughter!!

~Amanda~

bakerytreatz16
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM
My dds doctor recommended I use dark Karo syrup. He said to just add a tiny bit to her bottle. It worked for gas and constipation.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Light or dark? Or does it even matter?

Quoting Anonymous:

Corn syrup in a little warm water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I'm way more emotional than I used to be, and I never could stand to see any of my kids in pain. My older two kids don't have issued very often anymore.

But they're 5 and almost 4, so some things have escaped my brain lol.

Quoting MistyMoo:

No. It sucks. My daughter had that problem as a baby too :( she became horribly constipated again recently, she's been at her grandma's for 3 weeks.. Apparently it had been 4 days since she had her last bm. I had to give her some ex lax yesterday and boy did she ever poop this morning.. First thing she said when I opened her for was that she pooped and her tummy felt better. She's 2 now though.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Poor baby finally went and fell asleep on my shoulder. :-( am I crazy for wanting to cry watching that hurt her like that?

Quoting Krysta622:

Try the bicycling, and a little tummy massage. That's what is do before trying a suppository or any thing like water/juice/Karo/prunes etc.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

I don't introduce solids until 6 months unless otherwise told to by their drs, so she's only on the formula. Her last poop was about 10:30 yesterday morning. Sometimes she goes a little longer but doesn't have any issues with it, but she is crying and obviously straining at this point.

Quoting Krysta622:

I'd give it a little time. If no poop in day, a 24hr period, consult your pedi. I've always heard that karo carries a slight risk of botulism poisoning in babes under a year. Is baby on only formula? Have any solids been introduced? Try bicycling baby's legs, maybe gas drops.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)