Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think parents today have more reason to fear for their kids safety than in the past?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 72 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think parents today have more reason to fear for their kids safety than in the past?

Options:

Yes, there are many more random acts of violence

No, the 24/7 media coverage exaggerates the dangers

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 305

View Results

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yes. 

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yes.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
4 moms liked this

No. With 24/7 coverage you just see more of it.

BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not. If anything, we are SAFER. More and better technology, and the internet are two things that make today safer than back then. Social Media for example- people who have been missing, or criminals have been found just through that system alone.

We have cell phones and tablets with GPS, we even have actual GPS' that we can keep with our children. I blame the media.

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

No.

Adam Walsh was kidnapped from a Sears Department store during the "good old days"  Sherri Mahan (local girl) was kidnapped not 3 doors from her home getting off a school bus while her step father watched.  This was in the early 80's

Nothing has changed-preditors didn't just spring up from the wood work in the last 20 years but social media and amber alerts did.  Parents always needed to be vigilent but since they didn't hear about Adam's death until weeks after it happened and it trickled through the media they were far more niave.  Now a child goes missing and it doesn't take weeks to print a photo on a milk carton-now the news is blipped to your cell phone within minutes of the 911 call.  

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
No
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

No not at all.

Medical advances,safety equipment have saved MANY kids.  Carseats.

Violent crime?  In most of the country, violent crime is actually down.  Crimes against children by strangers is a very rare occurance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

No, and anyone who says otherwise is a helicopter parent. Sorry, but it's true. You can look at the statistics. The amount of kidinapping, molestation, etc. in this country has been a static number for 50+ years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM
No, I want to say crime rates have actually gone down. We just publicize everything so much it feels like all this horror is happening everyday in our own town, when generally its not. For example, my town has had eight? Murders in fifty? A hundred years? One person snatched-and she was taken while in the city, so why worry? And it's a twenty thousand plus population, not super small town
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

In Philadelphia, YES.  This city is freaking crazy anymore.  I can't wait to get my family the hell out of here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)