Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am so gonna get screwed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 125 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm 22 and have never bought a vehicle before. Well niw I'm looking for one and well lets just say I know absolutely nothing when it comes to cars.
I was showing my boyfriend an ad for one that I was really wanting to get. He asked if I was gonna learn to drive a stick. I can't learn to drive a stick. I've tried. But the fact that I didn't realize it was manual shows what I know lol.
Then I went to show him another that I thought was a great deal. He pointed out that it had a lot of miles and wasn't a car known for holding together after so many miles.
All of this is through text btw. He is a truck driver and out on the road. But I need a car asap and can't wait a month for one so he can't help me get one.
Someone is gonna see me coming and I'm gonna wind up with a piece of crap car lol.
I don't even know what to ask the seller when I look at the car.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Tell the seller that you are taking the car to be checked out by a mechanic before you buy.  You can pay a small amount and have someone check it out.  We did that and did not buy the truck we were looking at because it had so many problems.  Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I'm not going through a dealer and I don't think anyone would let me take off with their car lol.
My ex is a mechanic but I really don't wanna ask him for a favor because he will think it means I want him back.... and that would cause a whole new set of problems with my boyfriend who gets jealous easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell the seller that you are taking the car to be checked out by a mechanic before you buy.  You can pay a small amount and have someone check it out.  We did that and did not buy the truck we were looking at because it had so many problems.  Good luck. 

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM
5 moms liked this
I learned how to drive a stick shift it isn't hard plus manual cars are less expensive.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Test drive it and take it right to a mechanic to let him look it over. If the owner has an issue with it dont buy it. 

Photo: -Randi.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

If the person will not let you take their car then you do not purchase it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not going through a dealer and I don't think anyone would let me take off with their car lol.
My ex is a mechanic but I really don't wanna ask him for a favor because he will think it means I want him back.... and that would cause a whole new set of problems with my boyfriend who gets jealous easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM
3 moms liked this
The owner should bee willing to take your car to a mechanic of YOUR choice, but theirs.

Also, test drive. Turn the car on and off 5 times. Usually, by the 4th time, if it's a crap car, it won't turn on. Drive it around, get out, check under the car for any leaks. Check under the hood for anything. Check the speakers, individually. Go to an abandoned lot- go in a tight circle, then go in a circle the other way. Go as fast as you can and stomp the breaks.

This is what I did when I got my first car. Some didn't pass MY inspection. Also, what you pay for is what you get....

And don't be bullied into buying the car then. Tell them you'll think about it, and RESEARCH the car. Toyota's are great, Honda's are great. Ford suck lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I found a cavalier that I want to get. It seems in good shape. It has some small rust on it but other than that it seems good. I'm just afraid to show my boyfriend since every one ive liked so far has had something noticeable wrong with it. Its getting embarrassing lol.
But I don't even know what questions to ask the seller on the phone when I call....
And what am I supposed to check under the hood for?I know where the oil water and aantifreeze go. Oh and I know where the battery is lol. But other than that it is just a big pile of metal and wires and tubes and things.

Quoting Anonymous:

The owner should bee willing to take your car to a mechanic of YOUR choice, but theirs.

Also, test drive. Turn the car on and off 5 times. Usually, by the 4th time, if it's a crap car, it won't turn on. Drive it around, get out, check under the car for any leaks. Check under the hood for anything. Check the speakers, individually. Go to an abandoned lot- go in a tight circle, then go in a circle the other way. Go as fast as you can and stomp the breaks.

This is what I did when I got my first car. Some didn't pass MY inspection. Also, what you pay for is what you get....

And don't be bullied into buying the car then. Tell them you'll think about it, and RESEARCH the car. Toyota's are great, Honda's are great. Ford suck lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
It may not be hard for you but I cant do it. I spent a year trying to learn and the only thing that resulted from it was my ex having to do something to fix the clutch and transmission (I think that was what he said) 3x.

Quoting owl0210:

I learned how to drive a stick shift it isn't hard plus manual cars are less expensive.

mojogirl
by RoseannRoseannadanna on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

just make sure you put a clause in the sell contract that says you have x number of days to have it checked by YOUR OWN professional mechanic.

if there is no such clause then don't walk, but run away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I dunno. I probably wouldn't let someone take a car I was tryingbto sell out of my sight.... is the owner supposed to go to the mechanic with you?

Quoting brettsmomma:

Test drive it and take it right to a mechanic to let him look it over. If the owner has an issue with it dont buy it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN