Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

News? Foodstamps? Law passed?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

I really am out of the loop.. 

I don't get cable.. So please can you inform me.. What is up with the news about foodstamps.. 

I would love to know as I am a recipient and have no clue!

I have a laptop and go use wifi from the library so please no bashing.. ty!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewStepMom373
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

No judgement here- the republicans are cutting 40 bil from the SNAP program which is horrifying and devestating and they should be shot. Good luck

wymama610
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
11 moms liked this
LOL

Yeah it's so horrible to make people be self sufficient.

They aren't proposing cutting everyone, just able bodied people that should be working and feeding themselves.

Quoting NewStepMom373:

No judgement here- the republicans are cutting 40 bil from the SNAP program which is horrifying and devestating and they should be shot. Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

from what I heard maybe 2 or 3 bucks will be reduced for each recipient this November

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
19 moms liked this
No, what is horrifying is the level of entitlement of those who sit around with their hands out and expect everyone else to provide their livings for them, and then expect to live at a level equal to or above those who work for what they have. The industrious deserve to reap the fruits of their labors without having it stripped from them by the entitled class. There's nothing unfair about enjoying what one has actually worked for.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM
3 moms liked this

It's weird that you are on the internet and can't look at a news site to find out about current events.....

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Diamepphyre:

No, what is horrifying is the level of entitlement of those who sit around with their hands out and expect everyone else to provide their livings for them, and then expect to live at a level equal to or above those who work for what they have. The industrious deserve to reap the fruits of their labors without having it stripped from them by the entitled class. There's nothing unfair about enjoying what one has actually worked for.

I love you.

NewStepMom373
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM
13 moms liked this

The issue is that we do nothing to help people become self sufficient- give a man a fish he eats for a day- teach him to fish he eats everyday...we keep throwing money at the situation rather than meaningful resolution. On top of which the majority of people on food stamps DO WORK- they just don't make enough to support their families and we're not talking 10 kids...unfortunately we always hear about the handful taking advantage which frankly it the governments fault for throwing money without a meaningful plan, rather than the folks are just down and out and struggling to make it. There is no shame needing help- the shame is that our government doesn't do enough to make sure we all have access to resources and good education in spite of the taxes we pay for said resources.

Quoting wymama610:

LOL

They aren't proposing cutting everyone, just able bodied people that should be working and feeding themselves.

Quoting NewStepMom373:

bex55
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM
4 moms liked this
I would not worry. First of all the house passed a bill which Obama will most likely veto. Secondly it won't really affect families, or those who really need the help. The real news is how everyone is only talking about the food stamp cuts and not the outrageous changes in this bill that will affect farmers, because nobody points out it is a farm bill, giving even more protection to Monsanto and similar entities while hurting small farmers.
mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I think it depends on the state in which you live.  In NC, people receiving fs that have no children under 18 living with them, that don't have a job and aren't on disability will either get no more fs or reduced fs and they'll be required to go to job training and actively try to get a job.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is call your worker and ask. They'll be able to look at your situation and tell you if you'll be affected.

wymama610
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM
6 moms liked this
There is no sense of self responsibility. Does it really take a genius to figure out that a man can't support a sahm and a couple kids changing oil or working at walmart?

Everyone has a 'valid' excuse as to why they can't work, they're disabled..... They would pay more in daycare than they make..... Whatever. Perhaps if the government made it a bit less comfortable to live off welfare, it would jump start some self motivation.

My family pays a hell of a lot of taxes, and we still pay out of pocket for education. We make way too much money to qualify for college aid and whatnot. The people those programs benefit are the same ones that apparently don't take advantage of what's available for them.

It's time to stop making excuses, and start making people accountable for their own actions and decisions.

Quoting NewStepMom373:

The issue is that we do nothing to help people become self sufficient- give a man a fish he eats for a day- teach him to fish he eats everyday...we keep throwing money at the situation rather than meaningful resolution. On top of which the majority of people on food stamps DO WORK- they just don't make enough to support their families and we're not talking 10 kids...unfortunately we always hear about the handful taking advantage which frankly it the governments fault for throwing money without a meaningful plan, rather than the folks are just down and out and struggling to make it. There is no shame needing help- the shame is that our government doesn't do enough to make sure we all have access to resources and good education in spite of the taxes we pay for said resources.

Quoting wymama610:

LOL

Quoting NewStepMom373:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)