Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Helping your child be the best is looked down on now?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 115 Replies
2 moms liked this

Since when is it such a bad thing for a child to practice what he loves? What is wrong with a child reaching for perfection? What is wrong with giving your children the tools to succeed at something they love? 

These are the questions I ask myself every time people question my sons drive. 

He's 9 and loves baseball. It's what drives him. It's encompasses his whole life. It's what you would call a passion. 

Now he's a normal kid he plays with his friends and does great at school, but when ever he has the chance he wants to work on his hitting and pitching. We go to batting cages at least twice a week and we're building a pitching tunnel in the yard. 

He plays all year. Sure he's tried other sports, but they don't hold his interest. So now we just do baseball. 

I'm told time and time again that he shouldn't be playing that much, that I shouldn't be allowing him to practice when he has down time. Why? 

I often wonder if I said my child was an Olympic hopeful if I would get looks and comments? What if he was a swimmer or a gymnast, it seems it's acceptable to give up your whole life for those goals. why is his goal looked down upon?

Boy, yeah I'm a little heated at the moment. I just  saw another parent at the dentist who asked if my son was playing basketball this season. when I told her no that he wants to go a pitching class and it interferes with the times I got the typical "he'll eventually hate it, you should make him do something else". Make him do something he doesn't want to do? What? 

Then there are the people who talk behind your back saying youre pushing your child. Why, because a child wants to be the best? Why shouldn't I give him he oppurtunity? 

EERRGGHH...does anyone else have this issue? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I wish my parents would have done that type of stuff for us. I would have loved to be in sports but they never wanted to put time, effort, or money into them. If my kids find a passion I will do what it takes to make them happy. Don't listen to other people. Your kid is happy, that's what matters!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I was shocked at the comments I got when I bought kenetic bands for my kids and I to use to get better at TKD.
tattooedmama333
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM

My kids all have passions that I encourage and sometimes push a bit on. My oldest is the guitar, my son is cooking, my youngest dd is singing and writing music. They all have other interests but these are their main ones. I wish my mom and dad would have pushed me a bit more. I am sure I would be a lot farther in life if they did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Yes. Our situations are so close its almost scary. The only problem I have is with parents push a child so hard it messes with the kids sportsmanship and confidence. Why force him to play something else when that's what he loves and he's good at it? Mine (my ss) is a natural baseball player. I mean God given freakin talent kind of baseball talent. If that's all he ever wants to play then that's all he should ever have to play. His bm is now trying to force him to try football next year and he keeps telling me and bd he doesn't want to. Period. But he says she told him "he's going to do it whether he likes it or not". People like that infuriate me.
ncmarlene
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I don't have this issue, yet, as my son is only 4.  I think  you are doing an admirable job supporting him and providing him with opportunities to improve his skills.  It doesn't seem like you're forcing this on him, it seems like, he really wants to practice.  Definitely don't make him do something he doesn't like.

My DH and I havve decided that if our DS wants to play a sport, we will support him and if he wants extra practice, then he'll get extra practice.

I think maybe these parents are jealous and probably don't want to see your kid be better than their kid.

Just my 2 cents. :)

lazycamper
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I know what you should do! Tell them to shut the hell up. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thats what I thought, but when you go out and buy them somehting new or try somehting different we get comments. Eventually my son will hear these comments.

Quoting Devious333:

I wish my parents would have done that type of stuff for us. I would have loved to be in sports but they never wanted to put time, effort, or money into them. If my kids find a passion I will do what it takes to make them happy. Don't listen to other people. Your kid is happy, that's what matters!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Oh you should hear the neighbors when they saw the pitching tunnel go in. Or the other moms when my son throws a heavy ball before pitching...you would think he is taking performance enhancing drugs or something, lol. 

Quoting Blooming_Lotus:

I was shocked at the comments I got when I bought kenetic bands for my kids and I to use to get better at TKD.

ramita
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I think until your at the point of 'making' them or making them feel guilty for not playing then your fine. If its your son's decision then I say good luck to him. Though I do know kids do sometimes burn out if something. I've seen it happen so I kinda get what they're saying, but again if its what your child wants no problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I played a sport that I disliked because it was expected of me. I was a basketball player. That was my sport. I had a scholarship offer end of my junior year. I blew my knee out playing field hockey. It ruined my basketball career.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. Our situations are so close its almost scary. The only problem I have is with parents push a child so hard it messes with the kids sportsmanship and confidence. Why force him to play something else when that's what he loves and he's good at it? Mine (my ss) is a natural baseball player. I mean God given freakin talent kind of baseball talent. If that's all he ever wants to play then that's all he should ever have to play. His bm is now trying to force him to try football next year and he keeps telling me and bd he doesn't want to. Period. But he says she told him "he's going to do it whether he likes it or not". People like that infuriate me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN