Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently my 5 year old has a second grade vocabulary

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 13 Replies
My daughters teacher just finished the placement tests and she tested at second grade level for the vocabulary section. I'm not sure how they test the vocabulary of a kid that can't read but I always knew she had an advanced vocabulary she says some things that make you stop and wonder where she picked it up lol.
Any how just a brag I contribute it to having 4 older siblings and hubby and I not talking to our kids in baby talk.
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I don't do baby talk either. Mine is two and uses words like ridiculous, disgusting, hilarious and uses them correctly.

Not using baby talk helps vocabulary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamoChick
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM

thats great!  My daughter is 10 and is reading at an 8th level.

lazycamper
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Awesome job, mama!
awesomemommy2
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I truly believe that children exposed to proper grammar at an early age will test higher for vocabulary.   My kids are 3, 5 & 7 and their vocabularies are extensive.  Like you there was never any baby talk.   Always full sentences.   Questions, answers, etc.   I would try not to "dumb down" things when I would explain them.

It is funny to hear the little ones talk "grown up".   My 3 year old was asked by an older neighbor if he liked being home with mom while his brother and sister are both at school.   His reply;

"Well, honestly I like them home because I can make more of a mess".   

Neighbor replies something to the effect of "so you can blame it on brother or sister".

3 year old, "that's precisely right"

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Yeah I always hated people using made up words or saying things like cuppy it's not cute it's a cup lol

Quoting kitty8199:

I don't do baby talk either. Mine is two and uses words like ridiculous, disgusting, hilarious and uses them correctly.

stephensmommy06
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM

my first and oldest has always had a high vocabulary...its not exclusive to older siblings..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Awesome! I am curious what my 4 year olds vocabulary level is. I swear, he has a bigger vocabulary than I do!

I'm curious, was your daughter an early talker? My ds1 had a vocabulary by 1 and was taking in full sentences by 18 months. Ds2 Is 13 months and doesn't have any words. His pedi wants to send him to speech therapy if he isn't talking in 2 months.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Mine is four and is pretty much on par for his age in terms of- well, everything. Not behind, not advanced. lol

Good job to you and your little talker! =) It's always nice to hear a kid able to speak properly!

Beautiful31mom
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We did not baby talk ours either. It is funny My "Nephew" per say, Is almost 2 and talks in 4-5 word sentences. and he is quick as a whip too!

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I went out to eat with a friend. My dd wanted spaghetti. He kept saying "you like bugetti, is your bugetti good". She looked at him like he was stupid.

I kept telling him she can say spaghetti. She doesn't know what bugetti is.

He just kept saying bugetti. I wanted to say it's no wonder your kid can't talk correctly.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Yeah I always hated people using made up words or saying things like cuppy it's not cute it's a cup lol

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN