Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding a NICU baby

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

can this be done? forgive my ignorance, my last baby was in the NICU for 2 weeks and I was made to feel that breastfeeding was not an option for me. However, this time I am dead set on breastfeeding EVEN IF baby if a NICU baby again.

Can anyone share NICU storied of breastfeeding or reasons you could not (because of the NICU)

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes bf is an option. My last was born at 27w6d and we breastfeed successfully!
HisAngel91
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
They encourage breastfeeding. Both my dds were nicu babies and i breastfed the oldest for as long as i could. My youngest wouldn't take.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Yes, I breastfed a NICU baby. It's tough but it can be done.

EDIT: Also. YOU are in control of what they feed your baby. Pump milk and they'll give it to the baby in a bottle if they aren't able to breastfeed yet. You can also offer your breast before they offer a bottle. It's completely your choice.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashley9603
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I breastfed my twins in the nicu..I had to pump,they were born at 29 weeks and didnt start physically nursing until  34 weeks.I pumped and they had a feeding tube that went into there bellies.I pumped every hour(I had alot of extra time being in the hospital with them)Then once they started being able to nurse at 34 weeks I didnt have to pump as much.

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It can totally be done... depending on the reason, it might not be allowed at first... but pumping and giving breast milk should be encouraged... and later, when the baby is ready, breastfeeding.   I work as a pediatrics nurse, and share a floor with the NICU... at my hospital, breastfeeding is pushed very strongly for those who are in the NICU... and if a mom is unable to produce milk (which sometimes happens with NICU babies) then donor milk is often times used.... and this is a big change from just a few years ago when formula would have been used.  

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Oh yes.

My dd was in the NICU for 2 days before I could see her, she was 3 hours away from the hospital I gave birth at.

For those 2 days I pumped and sent it to them.  When I got there the first things I did was put a little bit of colostrum on my finger and rubbed it all over her mouth because she lips were dry.  When the nurses first gave her to me I immediately put her to my breast.  She had all kinds of tubes, the c-pap, and including a feeding tube in and I still did it (of course with the Drs approval).

It was marked all over her incubator and little shelves and area that she was a breast feeding baby only.

jmjdj
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Maybe it depends on why they are a NICU baby?  My youngest was a NICU baby but he could still be held, etc.  Although he was NPO for almost a week.  I suppose they would've let me but I couldn't for my own medical reasons.  When he finally got to eat he was on a two hour feeding schedule though and I couldn't stay up there all the time.  This was also 13 years ago, so I'm certain things have changed!

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I had one in the NICU and they were really bitchy about it. They said it tired her out and I could only give breast milk in a bottle. I found out afterwards that they were also giving her formula (grrrr). Luckily, she was only in the NICU for 3 days before being discharged home. It affected my supply and I had issues for almost a month. My 5th baby was in the NICU for 6 hours and it was a completely different experience. I nursed him every 2 hours and then they weighed him afterwards.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Did they have any issue latching after being on the bottle?

Quoting ashley9603:

I breastfed my twins in the nicu..I had to pump,they were born at 29 weeks and didnt start physically nursing until  34 weeks.I pumped and they had a feeding tube that went into there bellies.I pumped every hour(I had alot of extra time being in the hospital with them)Then once they started being able to nurse at 34 weeks I didnt have to pump as much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN