Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Punishing a 19mo

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies
My son will do things after I ask him not to do, like go out of the yard and climb on top of the picnic table and almost fall off. He is usually a good boy but the past few weeks he has been a terror. I have tried spankings (jesus you bitches are crazy. I hit him with my hand once after I redirect him at least 50 times. I did it with his diaper and clothes on and I didn't hit him hard for it to really hurt, just to get his attention. Don't spew your anti bullshit because I don't care), time outs, and redirecting him. Truthfully nothing is working and I am fed up. Any suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hazel1922
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Terrible twos.

Good luck mama, I'm in the same boat.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
If I remember correctly, my son was doing time outs at that age.

Like, I would sit him in a chair and if he tried to get up, I'd sit there and hold his hand so he couldn't get up for a minute, but I wouldn't talk to him.

The reason we started with the time outs was bc he was doing stuff and then like...hiding it. So we knew he was aware that what he was doing was against the rules. Like, we had a little candy dish...but it was kept up out of reach. So he would sneak over (he was really bad at sneaking, too...because he was like one and a half and I could see him out of the corner of my eye) but he'd be looking at me to see if I could see what he was doing. So we knew he understood that there was a rule about the candy dish and we knew he understood he was doing something wrong.

It worked for the most part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
My daughter isn't old enough to be a brat yet, so I have no personal advice to give. Have you tried parenting books? I'm sure there's something out there on surviving the terrible twos
Anonymous
1 mom liked this
Try spanking with a belt. dont spank him hard just hard enough for it to hurt. that helped my kids at that age. most of its just a stage hes going thur.
Anonymous
3 moms liked this

If you hit a 19 month old it is abuse no matter how cutesy you write it.  ZOMG ABUSEEE!!!

TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Squirt bottle. :P

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM
13 moms liked this

holy christ some people are fucked.

Quoting Anonymous:

Try spanking with a belt. dont spank him hard just hard enough for it to hurt. that helped my kids at that age. most of its just a stage hes going thur.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You should try hitting him with frying pan or book next time or if he's climbing on something go ahead and push him off and he'll learn how much it hurts to fall!  Also don't forget to laugh at him when he falls and cries!

Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Time out, but be consistent!!! Don't ever be lazy about it, (not directed at you) if you don't want it to happen NEVER let it slide. Use the same punishment every single time. Oh and be patient! Being a parent is about being patient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Nothing he is 19mo's just simply stay consistent and it is normal behavior for a curious toddler. 

He isn't purposefully being naughty just being curious and that is what they are supposed to do so just remember that in the big scheme of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)