Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im EVICTING MYSELF! (THE LANDLORD FROM HELL)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

We are currently renting a house from my mom. It was a win win situation. Shes on disability and could no longer pay the house payment. We needed a place to rent. My DH gets paid every two weeks. The deposit goes on at 10pm at night. Shes here at 10pm on that night to get the money. I cant even pay her on the due date. Sometimes shes getting the money 14 days before its due. God forbid im not home that night. All hell breaks loose. I have tried talking to her about it. She always promises to stop but when the next payday rolls around, shes here. IM GOING NUTS! I am currently looking for another house. Im tired of the bitching if im not here and im tired of having to go to an atm at 10pm. Would this drive you nuts? Shes normally a really sweet person but since we have been renting from her, she has turned into a slumlord! If something breaks, we fix it because we know she doesnt have the money. I never take that out of rent. I just had to vent!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM

BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM

bump

CamMa
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be moving, too!
sassygoddess
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her she will get it when its due and not before

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I have tried that. I have also tried telling her i would move if she showed up again.....wouldnt you know she was here again Tuesday night anyway. That was the final straw. I mean sometimes i end up paying out a house payment twice in the same month! Anywhere else i have lived, if its due on the first and i pay it on the second nothing was ever say. There are 24 hour grace periods almost anywhere! 

Quoting sassygoddess:

Tell her she will get it when its due and not before

blueeyedpixie
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry. I'd move. After my last experience renting from my mil I will never rent from family again.... family/friends and money do not mix well :(
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Mixing family and business has never worked for us either. GL house hunting!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats how i feel. I will NEVER EVER rent from family again. I never wouldve thought my mother could be this way. A few years ago she was going through a divorce and needed a place to stay. We lived in a big house and i let her live with us for 6 months. Due to how much the utilities went up and we were struggling financially, i asked for $400/month. I know that sounds high but that included the rooms, all utilities, all meals (whether i cooked or we ate out), and taking/picking my sister up from school that was 10 miles away every day. Honestly, i did not make money off of her being there. Feeding her and my pregnant 16 year old sister was not cheap. A few months she said she didnt have the money and i just let it go. I never saw the money for those months and i havent brought it up since. I just cant understand how she can be so rude to us when we helped her out so much.

Quoting blueeyedpixie:

I'm sorry. I'd move. After my last experience renting from my mil I will never rent from family again.... family/friends and money do not mix well :(

awesomemommy2
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Why can't you write her a check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

write her a check at 10 pm the night pay comes in and stick it in your mailbox.  If you won't be home put it in before you leave. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)