Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

looking to start small home business (sd, Ca)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Sooo, money has been kinda tight at home. My df and I work opposite schedules so that we don't have to put our 2 year old in day care, plus, he makes more money working at night. I need about $300 extra a month to be ok. I gradutated in June from culinary school and have seriously considered starting a small home business selling cookies, pies, tarts, desserts etc. I'm in the San Diego, CA area and was hoping to see what other moms thought of this idea. Would you buy stuff like that, biscoties, eclaires, madeline type of things from a personal business type place?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Aren't there laws/codes you have to follow? Have you looked into that yet?

mesfilles
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I know ladies that make cakes around here do well. They do a lot of weddings and birthday cakes.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I have a friend who is a pastry chef and certified her kitchen. She makes a fortune doing pastries for passion parties, bachelorette parties, stuff like that.
mesfilles
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I had a simple 3 tier cake with scroll work and it was 120.00.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

mmm, possibly. yes, I would have to look into it :)

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM

yea, I haven't had too much practice with fondant. I have with other types of icing though, and honestly would enjoy the "fancier" desserts/treats. I feel like a lot of people do cakes

Quoting mesfilles:

I know ladies that make cakes around here do well. They do a lot of weddings and birthday cakes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM

That's why I think it'd be worth it if I could get some business in. Also, my oldest daughter likes to bake and would gives us a chance to spend some time together :)

Quoting mesfilles:

I had a simple 3 tier cake with scroll work and it was 120.00.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I know people here were 'getting in trouble' by being reported for selling their cakes out of their home by women who felt they overpaid, or weren't happy for whatever reason. So just be careful who you sell to.

Quoting Anonymous:

mmm, possibly. yes, I would have to look into it :)

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I love that idea. I was thinking small gift baskets with biscotties, eclaires, short bread cookies, etc. or sell them by the dozen or something. Larger tarts for parties etc or creme brulees :)

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I have a friend who is a pastry chef and certified her kitchen. She makes a fortune doing pastries for passion parties, bachelorette parties, stuff like that.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM
My friend does penis shaped things. I think most pastries are boring and gross but if it looks like a penis its fun.

Quoting Anonymous:

I love that idea. I was thinking small gift baskets with biscotties, eclaires, short bread cookies, etc. or sell them by the dozen or something. Larger tarts for parties etc or creme brulees :)

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)