Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids and projects

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM
  • 30 Replies
I just need to vent my frustration over my son lol. He's in 6th and they have a lot of "projects" this year for each class. In language arts he had to read a book and then write a letter to one of the main characters. The letter has to include certain things. Its due Oct 1. However he had lost the instructions. For days I had been telling him to get another set of instructions from his teacher. He hadn't so I finally emailed her. She made him write them longhand. Now I don't blame her for that at all but he didn't finish the them and its due next Tuesday. I told him he has to finish writing them down today and the letter has to be completed by Sunday night. However I also emailed her again and asked if she could send me a screenshot just in case.

I know they are big on making them be responsible in middle school. Do you think I should have stayed out of it and if he didn't get all the instructions and got his paper wrong so be it? Or am I right to email the teacher?
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Bump
GaleJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Being from a Montessori background I do not understand the idea that children deserve consequences for simply being human and making mistakes or for forgetting or losing something. Assignments should be posted somewhere that students and parents can check,the posting should be clear and concise and should include ALL pertinent information.

Having your son write the instructions longhand seems rather punitive to me especially given how early in the year this is.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:21 AM
I wasn't thrilled but I understood why she did it. I really wish she had just posted them online. She has a place to do it on her website but no its empty.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Some parents in my dd and ds classes created secret Facebook groups so we can pass assignments back and forth. At first, I thought it was kind of nerdy, but I find myself checking it daily for missed and lost crap!
GaleJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM
What a great, helpful, and grass roots approach to this issue!

Quoting Anonymous:

Some parents in my dd and ds classes created secret Facebook groups so we can pass assignments back and forth. At first, I thought it was kind of nerdy, but I find myself checking it daily for missed and lost crap!

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I like that! I can ask a couple of parents about some classes but none of their kids have the same language arts teacher as my son. They have honors I think.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM
All my son's work is on his I pad its so nice. My kid is in 5th . But I would stay on it as well... we just had a project on dolphins...even with instructions he got it wrong.. so I fixed it after he went to bed....
christina0607
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I would have had my child email their teacher.

christina0607
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Also does you child use a planner? Thats where all of his assignments should be. 

kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Wow...I understand that in middle school they are trying to teach responsibility and prepare them for high school, but I think its crazy that she wouldn't have the rubric for the assignment online! I have 2 middle schoolers (7th and 8th) and their school belongs to a site called RenWeb. I can log on and see all of their assignments, the due dates, the rubric for each, etc...it also has their current grades that are updated weekly. And 9 times out of 10, the teachers email the rubric for big projects to the parents as soon as the project is assigned. I can't imagine the teachers not doing everything they can to help the children succeed! I think you were right to email her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)