Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh. Pressure :(

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

I've posted before about my BFF being a Premier Designs "jewelry consultant" and is going on and on about how this is her new career...blah blah blah. I wanna be supportive, but it's one of those "Host a Party!" deals where there's all this pressure to sell, and you end up never making that much.

Either way, I'm not a jewelry person but she's convinced me to go to her big party on the 5th (it's also a birthday party for her). Whatever. I wanna be supportive and bring $20.

Now she's texting me, bugging me to HOST a party for her and trying to get me to invite family!! All my family lives AT LEAST an hour away...they're not gonna drive an hour for overpriced costume jewelry. And she wants me to get my stepmom to come...WHO LIVES 6 HOURS AWAY! WTF. All my friends, she knows...they're all mutual friends already coming to her party on the 5th. I told her it would end up just being her and I and she's like "That's fine!!"

Why do I feel like this is a mistake?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Say no! And tell her to back off!
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I would just tell her you're happy to support her by coming to her party but that you're not interested in hosting one of you own, and that if anything changes, you'll let her know.
AMCMSM
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I would decline and maybe offer to send out her catalogs to your family. Maybe pick out a few things for Christmas gifts...

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Ugh, yeah I wouldn't let her rope you into that.

Does anyone actually make money off of these things? (Premier Designs, Avon, Scentsy, etc.)? They just seem like a huge waste of time to me, and while I've seen tons of my friends try it, they've never been successful at it. And of all the parties I've gone to, I've never bought anything that I wouldn't have preferred to buy at a regular store for less money, lol.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I told her I would send a catalog to my stepmom, and if she wanted to practice her script with me, that was fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Say no! And tell her to back off!

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Yeah, I told her I'd send a catalog to my stepmom and she can practice her script with me...but otherwise, I have no interest in all this crap :(

Quoting AMCMSM:

I would decline and maybe offer to send out her catalogs to your family. Maybe pick out a few things for Christmas gifts...

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I'm bringing $20 cause that's about all I'm willing to spend on costume jewelry. And I'm sending a catalog to my stepmom, and I would let her practice her script on me.

Quoting Superlaura328:

Ugh, yeah I wouldn't let her rope you into that.

Does anyone actually make money off of these things? (Premier Designs, Avon, Scentsy, etc.)? They just seem like a huge waste of time to me, and while I've seen tons of my friends try it, they've never been successful at it. And of all the parties I've gone to, I've never bought anything that I wouldn't have preferred to buy at a regular store for less money, lol.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Just say no. I don't host or go to any of those type parties. I'm just always "too busy".
onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'd straight up tell my friend that all this sales pressure is putting a strain on your relationship and if she values your friendship she needs to back off. 

I lost a friend to Amway. He just became unbearable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I hate those "buy-it" parties.  When I host a party there's no strings attached.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)