Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your child go on a field trip that's an hour away? ETA..again.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 183 Replies

My son's school is taking a field trip to the pumpkin patch later in October. The trip is an hour away, one way. I'm not sure if I can go with him or not, and him ride with me there. Buses make me nervous. I don't trust one driver with fifty kids and no seat belts. Plus, if I can go to the trip ( we were able to go to the last one to the fair to see the animals, but that was in the same town) it makes no sense for him to ride on the bus. I would semi-understand this trip more if there weren't a pumpkin patch in our town already. It makes no sense to me to take these kids two hours away just for the pumpkin patch. 

So, what would you do? Insist he can't go unless he rides with you, or let him go on a two hour long bus ride?

On the last field trip, parents met the kids at the fair. I asked to chaperone, and they said it wasn't needed on the bus. Sorry, if I can't go where my kid is, than he's not going either. 

I'm not being overprotective. I'm being protective. My son doesn't ride a bus. Partly because the aren't safe. There's always a ton of bus accidents around her, most with injuries to the kids. Sorry, but no. If he can't ride with me, he's not going. 

Also, I love this time of year. I always take him to the pumpkin patch. It's something that WE do TOGETHER. Not something I want him to experience without us. It's a tradition for us to go. Would the school do Christmas Eve, too? 

If they were going to a pumpkin patch in town (there's several, all with hayrides and pumpkins) I wouldn't be questioning it. It makes no sense for him to go an hour away for something they could do here. 

LOL. You people are funny. So legally, my five year old still has to be in at least a booster seat (he's still in his five point harness because he's short) while in my car, but in a bus where it's far more dangerous, it's ok to let all the kids in without any kind of protection at all? No wonder kids get hurt and molested more these days. 

I'll just talk to his teacher about him riding with me. They can't stop me from taking him. And they can't not allow him to go into the patch because I took him. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CamoChick
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

let him go. 

Arwyn724
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yes, all of our school field trips are an hour away or more.  We live in the country, so one must drive to get to anything interesting.  We are surrounded by very interesting places that require traveling an hour to see.

The pumpkin patches, however, are everywhere, lol.  I pass three great ones every day just going to work.

Arwyn 724 

matofour
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Let him go.
Our school wouldn't allow you to drive him.
If you are going on the trip, you are there to help.
Not baby your child.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh for gods sake.  Live a little.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Bye!! Have fun! See you when you get back!
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is coming home today after a four day camping field trip. An hour to the pumpkin patch is nothing.
piesmama09
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Field trips are just part of life.

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Let him go, but thats just me. For DD, I would. Her school is already 30 minutes away. I would let her ride the bus as well since she rides it to and from school anyway.
caito
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Um...sure. You would have shit your pants if you were my mom lol. I went on field trips with rotc every year, we drove ten hours to DC one year, ten hours to Jacksonville FL one year...let your kid go. It'll be okay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
9 moms liked this
Really? Let the kid go.

I can hear your 'copter blades whirring all the way over here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN