Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I broke a house rule and treated one kid unfairly

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 37 Replies

And the child I wronged was okay with it.

I have a rule that when kids stay home from school they are not allowed to watch TV during school hours or to play outside at all that day. I have always done this so that staying home from school is not fun for them. Today I broke this rule and let my son go play with a friend after he stayed home from school.

I probably would never do the same with my daughter and she knows it. I even discussed it with her as I did it. The reason I let my son go play even though he stayed home sick today? Because this is the first opportunity I've had to get him out of his room at all for a long time.

My son is high functioning autistic. He's been learning social skills fairly well and he's a real polite kid. For him to leave his room at all is an accomplishment. When his friend asked if he could play I didn't even hesitate, despite the rule. I even let him spend the night when he asked.

My daughter was fine with me breaking this rule. She got a night with just the two of us and we've been watching movies (until she fell asleep). She knows what a struggle it is to drag her brother out of his room.

What do you ladies think? Should I have enforced the rule and kept him in the house? Or did I make the right decision in this case?

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kde216
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Given the situation, you made the right choice.
ConnorsmamaKim
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think you made the right decision. 

daytonbaby210
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think that it was good for him to get out. I would just say try to not make a huge habit of it.

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM

The kid in question is only at his father's house rarely, so this was probably a one time thing anyway.

Quoting daytonbaby210:

I think that it was good for him to get out. I would just say try to not make a huge habit of it.

smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Sometimes rules are meant to be broken.
daytonbaby210
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I get that. I guess it is just nice to see a parent of a child actually have rules and be responsible. My brother is autistic and my parents pretty much just ignored him and had me deal with it.

Quoting jadedcynic:

The kid in question is only at his father's house rarely, so this was probably a one time thing anyway.

Quoting daytonbaby210:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I the most important thing here is that you talked to your daughter. She understands and doesn't feel like she is treated unfairly and even got special time with you. You did fine
paulswifey11
by TashaL on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
To me the big thing would be the reason he stayed home. Sometimes rules are meant to be broken
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
The right choice. I always say kids will always be treated differently, based on their needs and personalities. And if that means breaking a rule for one and not another, well so be it.
Linagma03
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Sounds like the right move to me. He was doing something important for his growth and DD got to spend an evening with you all to herself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)