Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If someone makes fun of your child......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

I Have heard that kids are very mean. I'm expecting a baby with down's syndrome. When I was younger, I was picked on by this extremely conceited girl. I hope she doesn't get teased because I don't know how to keep from going mama bear, in example; confronting them in an angry self righteous manner. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

BUMP!

rugratwrangler
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Kids are evil. Well they can be. I hope she doesn't get teased too. When are you due?
Sammybby09
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Idk how I would react honestly. I'd hurt for my child. But I'll try my best to instill that they have enough confidence to wipe it off and keep going. You can't stop people from talking. Whether they look different or not. People will always talk

susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

You have "heard" that kids are mean? You haven't been around them and seen them your whole life? You have only had contact with the one? Sorry, people are often not nice to each other. Fact of life. You plan on fighting your daughter's battles for her her whole life? Way to RUIN her life.

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My son has severe issues and most kids don't make fun of him. Adults usually are the culprits and the insults are often directed towards my parenting.... As if discipline and better parenting are the problem. It used to bother me and I would confront them, which would only end up leaving me more upset. Now I generally ignore it. They don't even know what his issues are let alone what would or would not fix them.

Kids have been surprisingly gentle and much more patient that adults.

raczac
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM
My oldest is in second grade now and in kindergarten and first grade there was a little girl in his class that is dpecial needs. He came home and said some kids eere saying mean things to her. He knows better than to do that. I told him to let the teacher know if it hapoens again and to take io for her. They're not in the same class this year but are still friends.
proudmomalexis
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM
well Im the mother of a special needs .and its a reality our kids do get picked on. My child doesnt have downs she has cp. Your child is watching you so you have to find a way to be protective and nice. its hard. Downs sydrome kids are so lovable. hard when they get picked out.
Flobrooks
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Go "mama bear" on a small child and you will get the chance to get all of the bumps out of your system in a jail cell. You can tell a small child that it is not nice, talk with the parent and try to help your child learn how to deal with being picked on in ways that do not encourage more.

Kids have picked on others since the beginning of time, they can be cruel.  But they can be very sweet and understanding too.

Quoting Anonymous:

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM
I have had random kids on the street or in stores whisper, stare, and laugh at my son. I just ignore them. They are children and if they stoop low enough to poke fun at a sn child, there is no reasoning with them or any reason to waste your time and energy on them.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Honestly, in my experience, your child may not be made fun of. 

when i was in school, i was odd. ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, and other things that made me the wierd kid. 

I was picked on insanely. i was 'normal' enough, but not quite all the way. 

but i noticed, the kids with physical disabilities, mental retardation, severe autism, downs, etc. were not. they were best friends with everyone, because it was comon knowledge, that it is WRONG to make fun of someone with a disability. 

I just wasnt different enough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN