Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have "face blindness"

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM
  • 51 Replies
I can't remember people's faces, even right after I just saw them. I memorize body shapes and hair styles in order to recognize people I know but it takes time and isn't a perfect system. My husband of two years got a hair cut without telling me (only about an inch) and stopped by the coffee shop I worked at and I didn't recognize him. My coworkers assumed I was giving him the cold shoulder, but I just didn't know I knew him. I've also had a boss that had the same hair color/style and body shape as another man in the building. Several times I would ask the wrong person questions about projects I was working on. I don't know what my face likes like and can't remember what my daughter's face looks like. It is all very embarrassing. That is my confession!
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I actually read about this condition in my psych class in college. Very interesting.

There are also people with "motion blindness" too, apparently?

It must be difficult to live with, but it's fascinating to read about.

Walker88
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I didn't know it was a disorder until very recently. I almost never talk about it because until now I thought it was just me and I was too stupid to remember what people looked like. I found it embarrassing and didn't want to let on that i want normal. I was in total awe of people that could describe a persons face to a police sketch artist because remembering some ones face that you only saw once seemed like a super power lol.

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

I actually read about this condition in my psych class in college. Very interesting.

There are also people with "motion blindness" too, apparently?

It must be difficult to live with, but it's fascinating to read about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Interesting, I have heard about this for some time now...Best of luck to you and lets hope there is a cure someday.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Brad Pitt said he thinks he has this as well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:57 AM
whoa weird!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg. I'm so glad I'm not alone! I mean I can remember people faces close to me... but strangers- nope. I meet with my therapist twice a month (sometimes more)... ran into her at the library- no idea who she was!

I know this is stupid, but when actors come on tv, I don't comment... I did once- world war z... the main character.. I called him Thor cuz I thought that was the Thor guy (bc of the hair)... nope, apparently that's brad pitt. Who knew! Lol
lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Interesting, I've never heard of that!
lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:01 AM
So even if someone put a picture of yourself in front of you, you wouldn't recognize yourself? Or are photos easier to memorize because they don't change?
Walker88
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:10 AM
I can recognize myself in a photo because of hair and body shape. If it was just my face without hair I wouldn't recognize me or if you showed me a picture of someone with the same body type and hair as me dressed in something i would wear I wouldn't realize it wasn't me.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

So even if someone put a picture of yourself in front of you, you wouldn't recognize yourself? Or are photos easier to memorize because they don't change?
Walker88
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Morgan Freeman is the only actor I can recognize and it's because of the frecklely things on his face. Little bit of makeup magic and I'd be clueless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg. I'm so glad I'm not alone! I mean I can remember people faces close to me... but strangers- nope. I meet with my therapist twice a month (sometimes more)... ran into her at the library- no idea who she was!

I know this is stupid, but when actors come on tv, I don't comment... I did once- world war z... the main character.. I called him Thor cuz I thought that was the Thor guy (bc of the hair)... nope, apparently that's brad pitt. Who knew! Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)