Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I don't work because daycare would cost almost more than I make" ETA #2!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 597 Replies
14 moms liked this

I am sick of seeing this response when SAHM's say they don't work. Unless you have a ton of kids, daycare is NOT that expensive. If you need assistance, you should be working. Unless totally disabled, of course, to where you couldn't even do a desk job.

If your daycare costs would equal up to how much money you could make a month, that just screams that you didn't get an education, you planned poorly, and you are/were lazy. Childcare is not that much.

Now, I do understand that some jobs require a ton of education for very little pay, and in those situations, I commend you for choosing a career that gives back so little (financially) and I couldn't care less if you required all the assistance in the world if you worked that job and still couldn't make ends meet. But these women with GED's & HS diplomas who state that they don't work because daycare costs too much & leech on assistance, you should have thought about how much children cost before you started popping them out left and right.

Oh, and I know some people are going to say "mind your own business" and "why do you care" so, to save you the time of typing that out, I wrote it for you & we don't need repeats (although, I am sure some CM's will still repeat it over and over again because that's what happens here). Bash away.

*ETA - Umm, everyone posting their childcare cost is proving my point. If childcare cost $1,000 a month per kid, then plan accordingly and have as many kids as you can afford? Didn't know that was a hard concept to understand. At that price, I could have 4 kids and still live comfortably. But, I am planning accordingly, so.... yeah.

*ETA 2 - Okay I come back from mowing the lawns and I see everyone is posting about why they stay at home. Which has nothing to do with this post. I am soley talking about people on ASSISTANCE staying HOME because DAYCARE costs more than WORKING. Can we keep it on topic, please? Stop getting your panties in a bunch and leaving out the crucial part as to how this DOESN'T relate to you? K thanks!

Also, to respond to the mass amount of people who keep asking "what happens when YOUR life is thrown off course, your husband dies, etc. etc"

1.) I can afford everything without another income. If anything were to happen, yes, I may lose some extra cash to go out and blow, but it wouldn't be a huge difference.

2.) We both have life insurance policies, and good ones.

3.) I have been without a job, and I lived every day just like I had my job. Because I had saved a shit ton of money. If my washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, and stove all crapped out on me today, I could go to Lowe's and buy new ones and not bat an eye. BECAUSE I PLANNED MY LIFE ACCORDINGLY. I don't expect everyone to be like that, I was fortunate and worked my ass off. But is it too much to ask to NOT be on assistance and SAH at the same time? That's ALL I am saying. Don't have 15 babies you can't afford. Have a savings account BEFORE you get pregnant.

And why is everyone adding in the cost of car insurance into their "if I worked" budget? Do that many people not have cars already? Even if I never worked another day in my life, I'd always have a car. That's not a work-cost. Gas can be considered one though.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM
71 moms liked this

um, childcare IS that expensive actually....

It's around 1500/month where I live.

And shit happens...  Sometimes life does not unfold how you plan.

Don't judge people unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.

jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this
Not everyone has family that can watch kids and daycare here averages about 1,000/month per kid
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM
My DH and I have one child and daycare per week is 200$.
lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
3 moms liked this
You do realize that the cost of daycare varies on where you live right?

Where I live daycare full time for one child is $300/wk, that's a lot of money!

And I'm not a SAHM nor am I on government assistance.
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
5 moms liked this
Daycare isn't expensive? Huh? It's VERY EXPENSIVE. I know for I pay it. Get a clue OP.
sandy201282
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
12 moms liked this

How about Im a SAHM because we can afford for me too. without PA..and it is none of your business. Its noone business what people do with their personal situation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
4 moms liked this
I get what you are saying, but what can be done now? They already have the kids, they already lack the education...at this point, it is what it is. This is why those on assistance should be given a work or school requirement with daycare provided, for two years.

And, btw, childcare costs $200+ a week, and that is low end day care. It is NOT cheap!
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

My 2 girls go to daycare 35 hours a week. Our daycare bill is $840 a month. If I was working with the education I have now, I would only bring in $1200 a month. Daycare is that expensive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
3 moms liked this
I pay 1257 per month per kid. I have 2 kids. So that is over 2500 a month is child care costs alone. I can totally see how that is not affordable to most families...
outtamymynd
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
4 moms liked this
Actually it is quite expensive. And what is it to you?
I think everyone is on the rag today, wtf is wrong with you people this morning??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured