Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I get tenants to pay the rent on time or get out? Rent was due on 9/15 and I still don't have it!(9/28) 2 weeks late!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 171 Replies

I've called and texted them, and have gotten no response. I asked for the rent and late fee ASAP. I told them they need to make having a roof over their families head a priority. They've lived in my rental home for 8 months, and for the past 4 months the rent has been late.(And how do I actually collect the $50 late fee?  They've been putting the late rent in my account without it.) Actually, I only got the rent after calling and reminding them it's past due. For some reason, they wanted me pick it up. I told them this is totally inconvenient. For whatever reason, they're not capable of mailing a check, so I told them to deposit it into my account. I'm tired of being jerked around by these people. Should I file for eviction? I'm sure as soon as I do the rent will appear! I have a demanding job, and fear I'll be in and out of eviction court with these people a lot. They have the income to pay!(But seem to waste their money!  I'm sure they have cable and cell phones!)  I'm a single working mom.  I have a mortgage and can't take this stress! HELP!

I am in NJ.  I thought this property would be a good investment, but it's turned into a nightmare!  I got these people from a realtor.  He screened them and checked references, but now I think the references were fakes.  I can't imagine the previous landlord really thought they were fantastic tenants! : (  It's sad that people with children are so irresponsible!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Krysta622
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I would think you should take them to court.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

send a letter stated they need to pay their rent or quit their residency at your apartment. if they dont pay file the eviction, while filing , file that they have to pay all your court costs and the judge should make them pay as long as you win.

worship
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

you can get a court order to evict them

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. Bump for help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to look up the laws in your state. In some states, you have to give them a written note for demand of rent or for them to quit the property. That note is usally 7-10 days. After those days, and no rent paid, then you can file for eviction. While the process is going on, avoid going over there or asking them for any money. If they try to pay you, even a partial payment, and you accept it, the eviction is then void...so don't accept a partial payment unless you are willing to work with them.

LilliesValley
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I would send them a certified letter informing them that rent is late and if it is not received in 3 business days you will start the process for eviction, but it also depends on what is in the lease and what your state and local laws are for eviction. You need to have everything spelled out in the lease from how you will take payments (in person, mail, to your bank account) and when the late payment fee happens and when you start the eviction process. You will probably have to go to court regardless in small claims to get the $200 that they already owe you in late fees. Maybe next time have the late fees get higher every 5 days.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You have to go by what the lease says. When does the lease say you can start eviction proceedings?
DomsMama07
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
As inconvient as it may be I'd file for eviction. Demanding the late fees for past 4 months, unpaid rent, and cost of courts. If not they will probably continue to walk all over you.
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this
You evict them.

Dont let them walk all over you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)