Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"White" Salons vs "Black" Salons

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies

Hello ladies i'm curious which salon do you tend to have a better experience with??

I am a mixed woman with thick African American hair and I don't go to salons much. I need a good, wash, relax, and cut. My hair is very unruly and thick and I get really nervous in salon environments that IBM being judged. 

I've already been to Dominican salons, they do awesomely, but the heat isn't healthy on my hair.

My experience with a black salon was pretty terrible, i swear it's like they don't care about your hair, so i was wondering if a white salon would do better. Would it be wise for someone like me to walk in there asking for a haircut? Do they have experience with my type of hair? Any salons you would recommend? Thank in advance

**to the African American women, have you ever been in a white salon? how was it?**

Sorry in advance for the terminology if your offended this is the way we describe them where I'm from.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mia1983
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I have kinky African hair so I would never go to a "white" salon because they'd have no idea what to do with my hair. I did go to a JCPenny's salon once. Was going to walk out the door when i didn't see any black women doing hair. But there was a Mexican-American lady working who assured me she knew how to do a relaxer, so I let her (reluctantly). I'm glad I did because it was the best salon experience I've ever had and my hair looked great afterward.
I don't like the traditional black salons because of the long wait times and overbooking. I do my own relaxers now, but if I had to go to a shop I'd go back to Penny's. You'll just have to try different places and see which you like. Maybe you should try a place like Penny's salon that caters to a mixed clientele, regardless of who is working there..
LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I've had good and bad experiences in both white and black salons. I don't go to the salon that much but when I do go, it's a white salon. I go because I love my hairdresser..she rocks and is very quick with it
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't do salons, I do my own.

I've had better experiences at white salons in upscale areas to be honest, but I don't wear my hair down so no point in it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had one black lady cut my hair and it was horrible, I currently have an Asian lady that does it and I've had a Spansh lady and Russian lady do it before and they did pretty good.  I was real disappointed with the black lady, she just was so uncaring about what she did to my hair, unfortunately this really gave me a bad experience and I refuse to go to a black beautician anymore.  I'm white with blonde hair btw. 

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

you are going to find good and bad stylists in all different salons...

my kids are mixed and I do their hair myself.. but I went to beauty school, and learned a lot about how to care for all different hair types, really focused on that, because of my oldest, who at the time was 2.

best thing you can do is ask around you area, ask your friends who they go to, and see who's most recommended (you can look online too for recommendations)

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, it isn't about black or white, they all learn the same things in school. It's about the technician. Ask around and see who other people like. In the case of salons word of mouth is very important.

Mom2RSD
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

In the area I live there is really only "white" salons; because we have so few black people around here.  The one black "salon" I know of is run out of someones house and specializes in cornrows and braided extensions.

My hair dresser is white and generally does white hair but she got her training in Georgia where she worked on a lot of black hair. She has actually done a better job than many of the black salons I've visited when I'm traveling.

Babujai
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM
3 moms liked this
When I had relaxed hair I went to a GreatClips once to get it cut on a whim. A white girl cut it. It was bad...she just chopped it and expected it to curl into place. AFTER she jacked up my hair she confessed that she had never worked with black hair before. She thought because it was relaxed it would act like white hair.

Bottomline: no matter what kind of salon you go to, question the stylist carefully about their experience dealing with your type of hair.
vicki77433
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just ask the receptionist when you make an appointment if they have anyone who can do African hair.  They're usually honest about it.  My hair stylist will freely admit that she can't.  A white, male stylist who works in the same salon has a black client in his chair every time I walk in the door.  It all depends on what each person can do well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM
find a gal that has the hair you want and go to her stylist. I went to beauty school in a white dominant community and we never had any African American hair to practice on. I have no clue what to do with it....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)