Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband joining Air Force... Any advice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
We are considering my husband joining the military, specifically the Air Force.
Before now, I have zero experience being a military spouse, and of course I have questions! We're leery of listening to everything a recruiter has to say; obviously they WANT you to join, and we don't want to be taken for a ride.
Here's our situation. We're married with a two-year-old boy, and we need a change. We live in an area that has been hit hard by the recession, and we want an opportunity to start over and get out of this area. Hubby doesn't have any college education (I do, but he is the primary bread winner at least until I go back for my masters when Little Man is school age), and he feels stuck at a job that he hates. He makes about 85k, but we're willing to take a pay cut as an investment in our future and in Little Man's education.
We've done a lot of research into the life we'd be starting, but I'm interested in getting advice and whatnot from women who have lived it!
Have you been in the Air Force, or been an Air Force wife? What has your experience been like? What have you loved? hated?

Thanks ladies!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Interested in views on on-base living, how often you/he have been deployed, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Bump for tomorrow!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Good luck getting in.

The military isn't enlisting like they used to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I know. The field that he works in (tactical security) does help because it's paramilitary in a lot of ways, but we're aware that not getting in is a possibility.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck getting in.

The military isn't enlisting like they used to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Thanks ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Bump for tomorrow!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:03 AM
2 moms liked this
He makes 85k... why in the world would you want to go into the military? Crappy health care, crappy housing, crappy hours, at the whim of the government (any shutdowns and military isn't paid). If you have a life going for you why give all that up to barely make ends meet (many military families are qualified for food stamps).

Oh that's on top of all the cuts they are doing.
AprilDJC
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:06 AM
My ex was air force. I was an air force wife for 16 years. Over all, I loved it. I miss military life. We got pretty lucky with assignments, so that helped. Living on base was honestly easier and less expensive than living off base everywhere we went. There are some catty and dramatic women living on base, but no more than live off base. Choose friends wisely, and you'll be fine.

many wives complain about quality of healthcare. I never had an issue with the healthcare. The kids pediatricians were excellent, better than their civilian doctors right now.

My advice would be:

don't take everything the recruiter says as gold, it's not. But the air force recruiter we talked to was pretty honest.

If you want overseas assignments, put them on his "dream sheet" asap but don't be disappointed if you get sent somewhere like Minot or Offutt as your first assignment.

Make the best out of everywhere you go. Some people complain about everything and never see the good in places so they miss out on a lot.

Be prepared for long separations or frequent separations. Having a system of good friends is important.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
AprilDJC
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I don't get the complaints about housing and health care. In 16 years I never had nightmare experiences. We lived in older houses an newer houses but with privatization most homes are being remodeled or newly built. And the health care at the bases we were was great.

Quoting Anonymous:

He makes 85k... why in the world would you want to go into the military? Crappy health care, crappy housing, crappy hours, at the whim of the government (any shutdowns and military isn't paid). If you have a life going for you why give all that up to barely make ends meet (many military families are qualified for food stamps).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I know things gave changed since the 90's but we had a family who we watched their kids and the father had to get a discharge bc 1 child had severe autism and the military had no support or help or schooling for him.

My dh was in the marine corps so it is a different ballgame but I think if you have a stable life why go to something so unstable?

Quoting AprilDJC:

I don't get the complaints about housing and health care. In 16 years I never had nightmare experiences. We lived in older houses an newer houses but with privatization most homes are being remodeled or newly built. And the health care at the bases we were was great.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:13 AM
He makes good money, yes, but he hates the company he works for. With the hours he works and how his day-to-day goes, he may as well be military so he can serve his country and earn an education for himself while in and for our little one later on.
The word "paramilitary" is in his current job description, in fact.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured