Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people assume this about me? **Edited in Red***

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:25 AM
  • 166 Replies
4 moms liked this

I don't know why people assume that pet owners have nasty houses.

I was trying to arrange a play date with the mother of my stepdaughter's friend today. I was talking to the little girl's mother on the phone. She knows we have horses because her child is wanting to come over to ride. While I was talking on the phone, my dogs started barking at a stray cat in my yard. She said, "Oh, you have dogs. How many?" I told her that we had four. "And they stay in the house?" I told her that, for the most part, our dogs were indoor dogs. They went out to use the bathroom and for exercise but they were indoor family dogs. We talked for a few more minutes and she finally said that she wasn't comfortable with her child at my house because of the dogs. I assured her that my dogs were very friendly and her child would be in no danger. "No, it's not that. I just don't want her in your house because your house is nasty."

"What makes you think it's nasty? You've never been in my house."

"Because you have all of those dogs. Dogs pee and crap all over the place, chew everything, not to mention the hair, parasites, and dirt they track in."

1st of all, my animals are potty trained. I haven't had to clean up pee in my house since my redbone hound was a puppy, three years ago. I had her housebroken by the time she was three months old. I clean my house every day and, because of the dog hair, vacuum twice a week. They get pills for fleas and ticks every month and they have toys to chew on and leave the furniture alone. I understand that not all pet owners are neat freaks like I am but to assume that my house is nasty when she hasn't even seen my house? What is wrong with her? I have seen people who hate animals that have nasty houses too.

Have you ever had this problem? Do people assume that about you?

Edit

Just to clarify, the part about vacuuming twice a week was a mistype. My downstairs doesn't have carpet. I have a few rugs but it is hardwood. I sweep once or twice a day, the rugs too, and vacuum the bare floor and rugs usually every other day but sometimes life gets in the way but it is never less than twice a week. The bedrooms have carpet and they get vacuumed at least every other day, sometimes less, sometimes more. On the weekends or when we have breaks from school, it is every day. I have a full time job and a family to take care of so I can't vacuum three times a day. My dogs are bathed frequently bathed and they are brushed frequently as well and I keep the house clean.

I'm also getting a puppy for my birthday.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Idk, because a lot of them do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:29 AM

They think sometimes due to us having a cat that there is crap all over as well.  Our human child makes a bigger mess than the cat.  I do let parents know incase of any allergies.  A child we did childcare for her mom was allergic so we made sure the cat did not lay on the coat or any of her belongings to track the fur home.  My bil's house is so gross they have tons of animals none of whom are house trained and tons of fleas.  BLECH.  I got more upset when my guy's son would not come over since supposedly our house is dirty but his moms house has had chronic fleas yet he goes there as well as human accident stains on carpet.  Our cat has not had fleas in years since we keep the house clean albeit cluttered.

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I have 2 dogs, I had 3 at once not long ago. My kids do WAY more damage than the dogs ever have lol... and any pee in my house would be from potty training my son not the dogs!

I vacuum almost everyday, my dogs are short coated and pretty clean for dogs! They get bathed and brushed, I wash their bedding frequently, and they're not allowed on the furniture. That lady's crazy!

kanikki82
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't have that problem. I'd say she's just an up tight bitch. I wouldn't let it bother you. Some people are just nieve and always will be. To bad for her kids though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:45 AM
3 moms liked this

maybe it's because pets smell like ass all the time.

JealousGrrl
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I've never had anyone say my house is nasty because of my cat. Maybe she's thinking that because 4 sounds like a lot of dogs. kwim? It was still out of line for her to say that.
MayBeeIAm
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Never had that problem.
EmilyD83
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:52 AM

She really said that???? WTF? I have 3 small dogs and 2 cats who are strictly indoors and my house if far from nasty.

I think she has been watching too much Animal Hoarders.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I have three cats too. I don't keep a litter box because my cats go outside.

Quoting Anonymous:

They think sometimes due to us having a cat that there is crap all over as well.  Our human child makes a bigger mess than the cat.  I do let parents know incase of any allergies.  A child we did childcare for her mom was allergic so we made sure the cat did not lay on the coat or any of her belongings to track the fur home.  My bil's house is so gross they have tons of animals none of whom are house trained and tons of fleas.  BLECH.  I got more upset when my guy's son would not come over since supposedly our house is dirty but his moms house has had chronic fleas yet he goes there as well as human accident stains on carpet.  Our cat has not had fleas in years since we keep the house clean albeit cluttered.

CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Yes.  We have 5 hamsters and a hairless rat, a puppy and a cat.  People will tell me that they don't want to come over because they know our apartment will smell like pee because of the rodents.  We clean their cages every other day.  Our puppy is kennel trained and potty trained.  Our little boxed is cleaned twice a day.  I vacuum daily also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)