Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people assume this about me? **Edited in Red***

I don't know why people assume that pet owners have nasty houses.

I was trying to arrange a play date with the mother of my stepdaughter's friend today. I was talking to the little girl's mother on the phone. She knows we have horses because her child is wanting to come over to ride. While I was talking on the phone, my dogs started barking at a stray cat in my yard. She said, "Oh, you have dogs. How many?" I told her that we had four. "And they stay in the house?" I told her that, for the most part, our dogs were indoor dogs. They went out to use the bathroom and for exercise but they were indoor family dogs. We talked for a few more minutes and she finally said that she wasn't comfortable with her child at my house because of the dogs. I assured her that my dogs were very friendly and her child would be in no danger. "No, it's not that. I just don't want her in your house because your house is nasty."

"What makes you think it's nasty? You've never been in my house."

"Because you have all of those dogs. Dogs pee and crap all over the place, chew everything, not to mention the hair, parasites, and dirt they track in."

1st of all, my animals are potty trained. I haven't had to clean up pee in my house since my redbone hound was a puppy, three years ago. I had her housebroken by the time she was three months old. I clean my house every day and, because of the dog hair, vacuum twice a week. They get pills for fleas and ticks every month and they have toys to chew on and leave the furniture alone. I understand that not all pet owners are neat freaks like I am but to assume that my house is nasty when she hasn't even seen my house? What is wrong with her? I have seen people who hate animals that have nasty houses too.

Have you ever had this problem? Do people assume that about you?

Edit

Just to clarify, the part about vacuuming twice a week was a mistype. My downstairs doesn't have carpet. I have a few rugs but it is hardwood. I sweep once or twice a day, the rugs too, and vacuum the bare floor and rugs usually every other day but sometimes life gets in the way but it is never less than twice a week. The bedrooms have carpet and they get vacuumed at least every other day, sometimes less, sometimes more. On the weekends or when we have breaks from school, it is every day. I have a full time job and a family to take care of so I can't vacuum three times a day. My dogs are bathed frequently bathed and they are brushed frequently as well and I keep the house clean.

I'm also getting a puppy for my birthday.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Replies (161-166):
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Um...I have actually been in her house and I have never seen dog hair. She even vacuums the couch. I don't even do that and my dogs are actually allowed on the couch.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, but literally every home I have ever been in that had indoor dogs and/or cats a) had a distinct odor and b) was visibly dirty. I dislike visiting homes with indoor pets, you can never clean up all the hair no matter how much you clean, it's just not possible. If you think your home is clean, you are kidding yourself, that's my honest opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
zraunt
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I would say the only assess present are you two.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep this

Quoting Anonymous:

You're probably used to his assy smell.

Quoting zraunt:

Why would you say that?  My dog is frequently bathed & does not smell like ass.

Quoting Anonymous:

maybe it's because pets smell like ass all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Bs. Dogs smell even with a bath. Just learn to accept this or stop whining when someone says your house smells like ass. Eww 2 dogs are bad enough but 4 that's just gross.

Quoting zraunt:

I would say the only assess present are you two.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep this

Quoting Anonymous:

You're probably used to his assy smell.

Quoting zraunt:

Why would you say that?  My dog is frequently bathed & does not smell like ass.

Quoting Anonymous:

maybe it's because pets smell like ass all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM

You only vacuum twice a week? 

MamaRae85
by *you're on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Personally, indoor dogs gross me out. But I'd never keep my son away just because of that. I mean, HE doesn't care! lol I just don't like the dog smell, though I know it's perfectly natural and many people don't mind it. I've got a SuperSmeller on me, so I'd probably give him a bath when he got home (husband has TERRIBLE allergies), but again, it's a personal preference that he doesn't seem to share, so no biggie.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Did you read the update where I explained?

Edit

Just to clarify, the part about vacuuming twice a week was a mistype. My downstairs doesn't have carpet. I have a few rugs but it is hardwood. I sweep once or twice a day, the rugs too, and vacuum the bare floor and rugs usually every other day but sometimes life gets in the way but it is never less than twice a week. The bedrooms have carpet and they get vacuumed at least every other day, sometimes less, sometimes more. On the weekends or when we have breaks from school, it is every day. I have a full time job and a family to take care of so I can't vacuum three times a day. My dogs are bathed frequently bathed and they are brushed frequently as well and I keep the house clean.

Quoting Anonymous:

You only vacuum twice a week? 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)