Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Looking for a word or phrase to use (spin off "Blessed are they which are persecuted")

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

Consider the following statements, that I've divided into two groups.

What word or phrase do you think best describes the statements in GROUP TWO, that doesn't apply to the statements in GROUP ONE ?

• Secular Humanist saying to a Roman Catholic: "I think, on average, the policies of the Roman Catholic church do more harm than good."  --> GROUP ONE
  • Secular Humanist saying to a Roman Catholic: "Catholics are all pedophiles, because they pay money to a church which then uses that to move kiddy fiddler priests to new parishes without warning the new parish, rather than reporting them to the police."  --> GROUP TWO

• Roman Catholic saying to a Sunni Muslim: "In my opinion, Islam does not, in practice, qualify as a religion of peace because there is a positive correlation between following Islam and warlike behaviour, compared to people from the same region that follow different religions." --> GROUP ONE
  • Roman Catholic saying to a Sunni Muslim: "Most muslims are either terrorists or supporters of terrorism." --> GROUP TWO

• Sunni Muslim saying to a Secular Humanist: "I have never yet heard an explanation from an atheist of why the fundamantal laws of physics for our universe are compatible with intelligent life, that satisifies me." --> GROUP ONE
  • Sunni Muslim saying to a Secular Humanist: "Atheists are all liars, because they claim that God doesn't exist, yet they must know that he does when they look around themselves and see how wonderful the world is." --> GROUP TWO
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM
One word : huh?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

One word : huh?!

If you want the context, read the thread:

Blessed are they which are persecuted..* A Christian post*

but I was trying to avoid giving the previous word suggested, in order to avoid biasing this discussion.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

group two are all baseless hyperbolic generalizations. 

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Its waayyy to late into the night to be waxing intellectual about religion and the baseless generalizations....it hurt my head to even type out this response.
Tunabucket
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:39 AM

There is a lot wrong with the posts, i see the second responses are meant to be more blunt and sterotype based, but often the first ones are just as stereotypical and judgemental, just in a supposed wrapper of politeness. I did find it funny that the first one to Muslims was the most offensive, considering so much of Abramic traditions have the same level of violence and justice that Islam describes.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Quoting BekahBrownEyes:

Its waayyy to late into the night to be waxing intellectual about religion and the baseless generalizations....it hurt my head to even type out this response.

It is 8:40am on a Sunday morning for me, where I'm living currently.

:-)

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Quoting Tunabucket:

the first ones are just as stereotypical and judgemental, just in a supposed wrapper of politeness

What makes them "supposedly" polite, rather than actually polite?

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Aahhh see well its 2:50 a.m. here.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting BekahBrownEyes:

It is 8:40am on a Sunday morning for me, where I'm living currently.

:-)

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd say group 1 is tactfully critical, while group 2 is harshly overjudging. Tact is the skill a lot of people forget when discussing things that are considered sacred to others.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

The difference is the group two statements are personal attacks.  The group one statements are not.

There are going to be people who see both groups of statements as personal attacks, as they find any discussions of religion or religious belief, unless you say "yes you're right" as disrespectful and attacking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)